Eleven army personnel killed in Kashmir avalanches (Second Lead)February 23rd, 2012 - 12:31 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 23 (IANS) Eleven army personnel were killed and eight are missing in two overnight avalanches in Jammu and Kashmir, an army official said Thursday.
While eight were killed in Bandipora district, another three were buried under the avalanche in Ganderbal district, the official said. Both the areas are in north Kashmir.
Lt. Col. J.S. Brar, spokesman of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps, told IANS: “Eight army troopers were killed and eight are still missing while 13 have been rescued from the avalanche that struck the brigade headquarters in Dawar village of Gurez subdivision of Bandipora Wednesday night.”
“Operations are still on to rescue the eight buried under the avalanche,” he said. Gurez is located 109 km from here.
“Three soldiers of the Territorial Army, including a junior commissioned officer, were killed in another avalanche that struck an army camp late Wednesday night in Sonmarg resort in Ganderbal,” he added. Ganderbal is 87 km from Srinagar.
In a third avalanche, more than a dozen hutments in Ramwari area of Ganderbal during the night, but no loss of life occurred in the incident.
The area is inhabited by nomadic goatherds during the summer as they take their flock of sheep and goats there for grazing.
Only last week, a major disaster was averted in Ganderbal as a massive avalanche had blocked the passage of water in the Sindh stream that flows to the middle of Sonmarg resort.
- Eleven army soldiers killed in Kashmir avalanche (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Avalanches kill 12 army personnel in Kashmir (Third Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Nine army troopers killed in Kashmir avalanche - Feb 23, 2012
- 16 army soldiers killed in north Kashmir avalanches (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Nine civilians rescued alive from Sonamarg avalanche - Feb 24, 2012
- Kashmir avalanche: BSF officer's body recovered, six missing (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- One killed, two missing in Kashmir avalanche - Mar 20, 2012
- Five soldiers buried in Kashmir avalanche - Jan 24, 2012
- LOC fencing extensively damaged by heavy snowfall, says commander - Feb 25, 2012
- Avalanche warning for Kashmir's Gurez town - Mar 05, 2012
- Gurez avalanche: Death toll rises to three - Mar 21, 2012
- IAF airlifts stranded Kashmiris - Jan 30, 2012
- Kashmir cloudburst hits BSF camp, five rescued - Aug 22, 2012
- Seven army troops killed in avalanche, eight rescued - Apr 14, 2009
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: army camp, army official, army personnel, avalanches, brar, brigade headquarters, commissioned officer, flock of sheep, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lt, major disaster, massive avalanche, night operations, north kashmir, sheep and goats, spokesman, territorial army, three soldiers, wednesday night