Elephant kills West Bengal villagerDecember 17th, 2008 - 6:22 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 17 (IANS) A berserk elephant Wednesday killed a villager and injured another person in West Bengal’s Purulia district.The incident took place when an elephant herd was passing through Barabazaar area of Purulia district.
“I’ve got reports that the elephant lifted and thrashed a villager at Barabazaar locality and also injured another person in that area,” Purulia police superintendent Rajesh Yadav told IANS.
He said: “We have sent a police team to the area and officials from the office of the District Forest Officer (DFO) are also there to assess the situation.”
According to forest department sources, a herd of at least 18 elephants came down from Dalma hills range in Purulia, located west of Kolkata, a few days ago and destroyed crops in the adjoining villages in the district.
- One killed by elephant in West Bengal - Aug 09, 2010
- Jharkhand's anti-Maoist push drives tuskers wild - Sep 16, 2011
- Wild tuskers rampage through Chhattisgarh villages, cause panic - Jun 27, 2012
- Woman trampled to death by elephants - Jul 22, 2010
- Elephants cause havoc in Jalpaiguri's tea estate - Dec 08, 2010
- Tusker tramples four in Bihar - Jul 08, 2012
- 50 Elephants go on rampage and kill one in West Bengal - May 26, 2010
- Elephants from Nepal kill 1, injure eight in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 25, 2010
- Tusker kills man cycling to work - Feb 22, 2011
- Elephants spread havoc in West Bengal's Bankura District - Sep 09, 2010
- Bengal to set up rescue centres for stray jumbos - Mar 27, 2012
- Maoist, trooper killed in West Bengal gunfight (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Tuskers trample couple to death in Bengal - Jul 11, 2011
- Speeding train kills elephants in Jalpaiguri - Sep 23, 2010
- Centre's decision to confer 'National Heritage' status on elephants welcomed - Oct 29, 2010