Electricity board office set afire in Madhya PradeshJanuary 9th, 2009 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Bhopal, Jan 9 (IANS) Protesting against frequent power cuts in the state, residents of a town in Madhya Pradesh Friday ransacked and set on fire the office of the electricity board, police said.Scores of students and businessmen of Alampur town in the state’s Bhind district Friday morning shouted slogans outside the office.
“When no senior official came out to hear their woes, the agitated crowd barged into the electricity board office, ransacked it and set it on fire,” a police officer said.
None was reported injured in the incident though documents and furniture were destroyed in the fire.
“Security personnel were immediately rushed to the spot. The situation is now under control. A case has been registered against unidentified miscreants and some arrests have been made,” Bhind police superintendent Abhay Singh told IANS.
A protestor said: “Power was being supplied for merely three-four hours a day creating difficulties for students and businessmen alike. Farmers too were not able to irrigate their fields.”
Two days ago, people of Lahar in Bhind district pelted stones at the electricity office damaging few vehicles. A week ago stones were pelted and documents were torn by students at the electricity office in Daboh.
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- Protest against acute power shortage continues in Bihar - Mar 27, 2011
- Ex-royal of Rajasthan, supporters fired at - Sep 01, 2011
- Curfew continues in parts of Kashmir valley due to stone pelting incidents - Sep 13, 2010
- 15 students injured in Bangladesh clash - Mar 03, 2012
- Curfew imposed to foil separatist march in Kashmir - Oct 22, 2010
- Miscreants set on fire two-storied building in Peerbagh area of Kashmir - Sep 13, 2010
- Five stone pelters injured as police fire rubber pallets in Kashmir - Aug 19, 2010
- Telangana students try to storm assembly, protests rock Hyderabad (Second Lead) - Feb 21, 2011
- 6 security men injured as mobs defy curfew in Kashmir - Sep 16, 2010
- Telangana issue: Clashes again at Osmania University (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Stone-pelting mob clashes with police in Baramulla - Apr 06, 2012
- Bihar reels under power outages, summer heat (Lead) - Mar 26, 2011
- Clashes, arson as hundreds protest murder of Delhi college student - Jul 13, 2010
- Protests continue in Bihar against power crisis - Mar 28, 2011