Elections will impact IPL, says ModiFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) The country’s general elections, which are likely to be held sometime between April 8 and May 15, will take a toll on the second edition of the Indian Premier League (IPL), top league official said.IPL commissioner Lalit Modi told reporters Monday that the dates for the tournament were announced before the general elections were set and it has put the league in a difficult situation.
“It is indeed a difficult situation but the opening (April 10) and the closing (May 24) dates will remain fixed,” Modi said.
Modi, who is also the vice-president of the Indian cricket board, said the organisers will prepare a tentative schedule and wait till the final election dates are announced.
“The problem will be when a polling or a counting date clashes with the date of the match in the respective city. This will have a big impact on us. So, we are making a tentative schedule and taking necessary steps to handle the issue,” he said.
He also said that some investor has shown interest in buying stakes in Bangalore Royal Challengers, but declined to name anyone.
- Support Anna at IPL matches: Lalit Modi - Apr 08, 2011
- Modi to appeal against court order favouring Cairns - Apr 03, 2012
- Lalit Modi accuses BCCI president-elect of fixing things for CSK - May 19, 2011
- Modi takes exception to being called 'the then chairman' - May 11, 2010
- IPL-Gate: Modi likely to move petition in Bombay High Court against GC meeting - Apr 23, 2010
- Lalit Modi's disciplinary hearings next month - Aug 30, 2010
- BCCI rejects Modi's request for recusal of Jaitley, Amin - Aug 11, 2010
- Srinivasan set to be BCCI president-elect - Sep 28, 2010
- Fourth IPL will be in first week of April 2011: Modi - Apr 14, 2010
- CPI-M, Congress question Mamata's felicitation of KKR (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- CPI-M questions Mamata's felicitation of KKR - May 30, 2012
- When you are successful, you are bound to be targetted: Lalit Modi's father - Apr 27, 2010
- IPL governing council meeting to take decision on Modi - Apr 20, 2010
- Allegations will destroy all that I have achieved: Cairns - Mar 06, 2012
- Lalit Modi mulls quitting, but only after he has his say - Apr 21, 2010