Election panel refuses to intervene in Jagan’s caseMay 29th, 2012 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 29 (IANS) The Election Commission of India Tuesday refused to intervene in YSR Congress Party leader Y.S. Jaganmohan Reddy’s arrest by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), party sources said.
The commission conveyed to YSR Congress Party’s honorary president Vijayamma that since the matter was in court, it would not intervene, the sources said.
Jagan, as the young leader is popularly known, was arrested Sunday in a case of illegally acquiring assets. Vijayamma is his mother.
Vijayamma Monday sent a letter to Chief Election Commissioner S.Y. Quraishi, seeking his intervention to direct the CBI to immediately release Jaganmohan Reddy so that he could continue campaigning for the June 12 by-elections to one Lok Sabha and 18 state assembly constituencies.
Vijayamma complained that her son was arrested to keep him away from the party’s campaigning.
According to sources, the commission discussed her letter at a meeting presided over over by Quraishi and decided not to intervene.
Vijayamma alleged that the arrest was undemocratic and was aimed at helping the ruling Congress in the elections.
Jagan was Monday remanded in judicial custody for two weeks.
- Jagan's mother to campaign in by-elections - May 28, 2012
- Jagan's mother continues protest against son's arrest - May 28, 2012
- Congress has no role in Jagan's arrest: Andhra chief minister - May 28, 2012
- Jagan's mother hits out at Sonia Gandhi for arrest - May 27, 2012
- Another legislator quits Congress, two more call on Jagan's mother - May 31, 2012
- Mother, wife call on Jagan in jail - May 29, 2012
- YSR Congress Party bags 8 assembly seats, leading in 7 (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2012
- Jagan arrested in assets case, party calls for Andhra shutdown (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- Jagan arrest: Andhra shutdown call evokes poor response (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Jagan's mother, sister storm Andhra by-poll scene (With images) - May 31, 2012
- Campaigning ends for Andhra by-elections - Jun 10, 2012
- Jagan celebrates party's win in jail - Jun 15, 2012
- It's people's victory, says Jagan's mother - Jun 15, 2012
- Congress intensifies attack on Jagan in by-poll campaign - Jun 04, 2012
- Jagan writes to PM on 'conspiracy' against him - May 23, 2012
Tags: assembly constituencies, assets, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chief election commissioner, congress party, election commission of india, elections, honorary president, jagan, judicial custody, Lok Sabha, party leader, party sources, quraishi, state assembly, young leader