Election Commission worried about illegal money powerMarch 2nd, 2009 - 5:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 2 (IANS) The Election Commission Monday expressed serious concern over the rising use of “money power” in the election process.
While announcing the dates for the elections to the 15th Lok Sabha, Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalaswami said: “We have taken serious note of illegal use of money power, and the polling officers have been told to strictly monitor the expenditure.”
He appealed to the candidates not to exceed their expense limits.
The elections begin April 16 and end May 13. The counting will be held on May 16.
- 'Reforms in poll panel needed for better functioning' - Mar 15, 2011
- India votes from April 16 to May 13 (Lead) - Mar 02, 2009
- India to vote April 16-May 13 for a new government (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2009
- Poll panel watching! Punjab goes low on ladoos, posters (Punjab Newsletter) - Jan 21, 2012
- Paid news very disturbing trend, says election commissioner - Jan 20, 2010
- Poll panel for hiking candidates' expenses - Feb 12, 2011
- MCD polls have lost their carnival spirit: Contestants - Apr 05, 2012
- Now, poll bank accounts must for candidates: Moily - Nov 22, 2010
- Poll panel keeping tabs on Himachal government actions - Jul 12, 2012
- 766 complaints of paid news received in Jan-March polls: Quraishi - Jul 06, 2012
- Five states to pick new assemblies in January-March (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2011
- Defeated Goa poll candidate wants poll expenses back - Sep 01, 2012
- New bank accounts mandatory for candidates - Dec 24, 2011
- Negligible progress on poll reforms, RTI plea reveals - Jun 21, 2012
- EC meets political parties to explain new instructions for forthcoming elections - Mar 09, 2011