Election Commission gears for Lok Sabha polls next yearDecember 16th, 2008 - 3:37 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 16 (IANS) After conducting the electoral semis, the Election Commission Tuesday kicked off the process of getting ready for the Lok Sabha polls with a meeting of the chief electoral officers of six metropolitan cities. “The Election Commission is conducting a daylong workshop to discus issues connected with conducting elections in metropolitan areas in the country,” an Election Commission official told IANS.
Chief electoral officers from Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad and Bangalore have gathered at the Election Commission headquarters for the workshop.
“They are participating to focus on some of the unique problems and find out solutions,” the official added, without going into details.
Chief Election Commissioner N. Gopalswamy had last week said the Lok Sabha elections would be conducted in April-May next year.
He had also said that the elections would be held just before the end of the government’s tenure.
The United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government’s term comes to an end by mid-May and the process to elect a new house has to be completed by then, the Election Commission official said.
With only the last two phases of the elections in Jammu and Kashmir left before the “semi-final” - the assembly elections to six states - ends, the Election Commission has been keen to get electoral rolls and voter photo identity cards ready before the general elections.
Also, the main focus would be to arrange police personnel for the smooth conduct of the elections in the country.
Results for assembly elections in Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Mizoram were announced on Dec 8.
- Election Commission reviews preparedness for general elections - Dec 18, 2008
- Mayawati's style of playing hide and seek with EC - Dec 16, 2011
- 150 million can vote in April-May - Mar 02, 2011
- Presidential poll on July 19, result on July 22 (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Haryana bypolls campaigning ends, voting Wednesday - Nov 28, 2011
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
- Poll panel to use social media to attract young voters - Nov 25, 2011
- Civic elections: Delhi poll panel hopes for high turnout - Apr 09, 2012
- Brief respite for poll officials before counting - Mar 04, 2012
- CEC unhappy that 40 percent voters stayed away in 2009 - Sep 21, 2012
- Moily commends ECI' s role in Indian democracy since inception - Sep 12, 2010
- Assembly elections process hots up in West Bengal - Mar 08, 2011
- SC rejects plea against Chandrababu Naidu (Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Poll panel blocks 400 government jobs in Goa - Jan 05, 2012
- Stage set for Tuesday's by-polls in Andhra Pradesh - Jun 11, 2012