Election agent of Chhatradhar Mahato arrestedMay 5th, 2011 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 5 (IANS) A member of the pro-Maoist tribal group - Peoples’ Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCAPA) - and the election agent of its jailed chief Chhatradhar Mahato was arrested Thursday in West Bengal’s West Midnapore district, police said.
Bhagua Hansda was arrested for his involvement in a murder case filed with the Binpur police station near Jhargram in 2008 when he went to the police station Thursday for seeking permission for holding a campaign rally, said West Midnapore Additional Police Superintendent (operation) Mukesh Kumar.
“A non-bailable arrest warrant was pending against him,” Kumar said.
Bhagua was nominated as election agent of Chhatradhar, who is lodged in Midnapore Central Correctional Home after being arrested in October 2009.
The former convenor of PCAPA is contesting from Jhargram constituency, which will go to poll May 10, in the sixth phase of the assembly elections.
The Maoists are active in three western districts of the state - West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura.
- Chhatradhar Mahato's election agent released on bail - May 06, 2011
- Jailed Maoist leader not allowed to vote - May 10, 2011
- Pro-Maoist tribal body's spokesman re-arrested - Jul 01, 2011
- Court allows jailed Maoist to contest polls - Apr 06, 2011
- Maoists put up posters protesting Mahato killing - Mar 12, 2011
- Campaigning ends for West Bengal polls - May 08, 2011
- Heavy voting in Maoist heartland as Bengal polls end (Roundup) - May 10, 2011
- Bengal's Maoist heartland votes in huge numbers (Fourth Lead) - May 10, 2011
- Maoists regrouping in Bengal: Police - Jul 05, 2011
- Top Maoist leader killed in West Midnapore encounter - Mar 11, 2011
- Detained Maoists call off 12-day hunger strike - Dec 23, 2010
- Are Maoists losing ground in West Bengal? - Dec 30, 2010
- Pro-Maoist leader makes things tough for CPI-M - May 06, 2011
- Bengal polls end with heavy voting in Maoist heartland (Intro Roundup) - May 10, 2011
- Partial response to shutdown call in West Bengal - Dec 28, 2010
Tags: arrest warrant, assembly elections, bailable, bankura, campaign rally, convenor, district police, election agent, jhargram, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, mukesh kumar, murder case, police station, police superintendent, purulia, sixth phase, tribal group, west bengal