Elderly man tries suicide in Metro station, critically injuredAugust 15th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) A 60-year-old man was critically injured and may lose his hand after he tried to commit suicide by jumping in front of a Delhi Metro train Wednesday afternoon, police said.
Gurneet Singh Lamba, resident of west Delhi’s Usha Park area, jumped on to the tracks at west Delhi’s Tilak Nagar Metro station around 2.50 p.m.
The incident took place on platform number one where Lamba was standing for some times and suddenly jumped before the metro.
“The emergency brakes of the train were applied and the train was brought to halt but Lamba suffered severe hand injuries. Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel, deployed at the station, took him out and rushed him to Deen Dayal Upadhyay Hospital,” said a CISF official.
“Since the incident took place on a national holiday, the station had a minimum crowd and no prompt alarm was raised,” said a CISF spokesperson.
A case has been registered, police said.
“We are yet to record Lamba’s statement, as he is still unconscious. Doctors informed that his hand was crushed under the train’s wheel and it might have to be separated from his body,” a senior police official said.
- Woman commits suicide at Delhi metro station - Jun 04, 2012
- Class four student run over in Delhi - Jul 27, 2012
- Woman dies after jumping from metro station terrace - May 04, 2012
- Youth run over by Metro train - Mar 05, 2011
- Man attempts suicide at Delhi metro station - Aug 06, 2010
- Cyclist crushed, six injured by bus in Delhi (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- Two held for Delhi Metro brawl - Feb 01, 2012
- Man attempts suicide at Metro station - May 05, 2012
- Two dead, three injured in building collapse in Delhi - Jul 24, 2012
- Conductor crushed to death under own bus - Jan 18, 2011
- Woman critical, kids safe after jumping on Metro track (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Woman commits suicide at Delhi Metro station (Second Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Nine-year-old crushed to death - Jul 23, 2011
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Man attempts suicide at Metro station (Lead) - May 05, 2012
Tags: central industrial security, crowd, delhi metro, doctors, elderly man, emergency brakes, hand injuries, lamba, metro station, national holiday, New Delhi, old man, police official, security force, spokesperson, tilak nagar, usha, wednesday afternoon, west delhi, wheel