Elderly man beaten to death in RajasthanAugust 11th, 2011 - 9:25 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Aug 11 (IANS) A 75-year-old man was beaten to death in Rajasthan’s Jhunjhunu district after being accused of being an ‘evil spirit’, police said Thursday. Three men have been arrested.
The attackers late Wednesday saw the victim, Ramu Gujjar, seated near the funeral pyre of a man killed in an accident a day earlier.
“Ramesh Rohila had been cremated Wednesday. Some of his relatives saw Ramu sitting near his pyre late at night” in Rampura village, 170 km from here, a police officer told IANS.
“They thought he was doing some witchcraft. They took him to their house and tied him to a tree and severely beat him up.”
Gujjar’s family found his body Thursday morning and contacted the police.
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- Congress MP, hundreds attend Kishenji cremation - Nov 27, 2011
- Crowd has scant respect for the departed: Big B - Jul 20, 2012
- Two killed in Bihar for practicing witchcraft - Jul 06, 2012
- Man stabs his sister on suspicion of witchcraft - Oct 01, 2011
- Ailing man burns self on pyre - Oct 31, 2011
- 2-year-old girl abandoned in Rajasthan's Jhunjhunu - May 26, 2012
- Rajasthan girl sold by mother, raped - Aug 10, 2011
- Eloping couple commit suicide in Rajasthan - Aug 11, 2012
- Wife, son held for murder of retired government official - Apr 02, 2011
- Boycott cripples Rajasthan legal services - Jan 12, 2012
- Gujjar protests: More talks with Rajasthan government Friday - Dec 31, 2010
- More talks to solve Gujjar issue expected Friday (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Bhairon Singh Shekhawat cremated with full state honours (Lead) - May 16, 2010
- At Hazarika's last rites, sea of humanity sheds tears - Nov 09, 2011