Eight-year-old booked under gangster act in Uttar PradeshJune 20th, 2009 - 2:31 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 20 (IANS) An eight-year-old boy has been booked under the Goonda Act - a tough anti-gangster law, in Uttar Pradesh. The police Saturday promised an inquiry into the matter.
Jagannath, a resident of Baghauli village in Hardoi district, was booked under the law about four months ago after his family was involved in a row with a neighbour. The
Goonda Act provides for preventive detention up to three months and imposes stringent conditions for bail.
“I want the police and district administration to take up the case at the earliest so that my son gets justice,” Jagannath’s father Rajju told reporters in Hardoi Saturday.
Rajju submitted an application for revoking of the order at the office of the sub divisional magistrate (SDM) in Hardoi, about 110 km from here.
Rajju said that around four months ago he had a conflict with his neighbours over sharing of a vacant plot near his house.
“Armed with wooden sticks and iron rods, the neighbours barged into my house and manhandled my family members. To protect them, I also retaliated,” said Rajju.
“Later, police reached the spot and took us to the police station. To my surprise, they did not register any case against my neighbours and instead booked my son,” he added.
When contacted, Additional Superintendent of Police Govind Agarwal expressed surprise over the incident.
“An immediate inquiry will be conducted in this matter and action would be taken against the erring policemen,” Agarwal told IANS.
- Uttar Pradesh police books 80-year-old under Gangster Act - Feb 05, 2009
- Man beaten to death in Bihar for eloping - Sep 12, 2012
- BJP MLA arrested in Rajasthan, granted bail - May 29, 2012
- 12-year-old booked for apprehension of breach of peace - Mar 26, 2011
- Warden booked for sodomising mentally disabled in Haryana - Jul 02, 2012
- Delhi woman killed by in-laws, husband - May 05, 2012
- Official booked for beating man to death - Jul 26, 2010
- Poor woman in Bihar sells child for Rs.62, cops begin probe - Jul 15, 2012
- In-laws booked for Mumbai's triple-suicide case - Mar 12, 2011
- Human rights panel orders arrest of nine Uttar Pradesh policemen - Feb 06, 2009
- SDM arrested for plotting to kill neighbours - Jul 01, 2010
- Family quarrels lead to killings, attempted murder in Maharashtra - Jun 29, 2012
- President's son's visit exposes cracks in Tripura Congress - Sep 10, 2012
- Three awarded death penalty for killing five of family - Feb 12, 2011
- Three die in Jharkhand - Oct 23, 2011