Eight Orissa villagers tortured over sorceryApril 24th, 2008 - 3:47 pm ICT by admin
Bhubaneswar, April 24 (IANS) Suspecting them to be sorcerers and responsible for sickness in the village, residents of an Orissa village beat up eight fellow villagers, used hammers to extract their teeth and made them eat human excreta. The incident occurred at Gereda village in the southern district of Ganjam, some 185 km from here, Monday but came to light after police officials visited the spot Wednesday.
Some villagers had fallen ill recently. Believing this to be due to witchcraft, people of the village asked a tantric or black magician to identify those practicing sorcery.
The tantric identified eight villagers, sub divisional police officer Jyoti Prakash Mohapatra told IANS.
A group of around 30 people took the men to a temple where they beat them, used a hammer to extract two teeth from each before subjecting them to the final ignominy of forcing them to eat human excreta, he said.
One of the victims filed a complaint with the police. On his complaint, one of the villagers involved was nabbed while the others are absconding, said Mohapatra, who went to the village.
The village has a population of about 2,000 mostly tribal people, he said.
Sorcery and witchcraft related crimes are very common in Orissa. Many people, including tribals, believe that witchcraft is the reason behind their problems.
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Dalit woman killed in Bihar for practising witchcraft - May 24, 2012
- Tribal woman killed for suspected witchcraft in Tripura - Feb 11, 2012
- Four killed in Assam, witchcraft suspected - Jun 21, 2011
- Orissa woman lynched as 'witch', 10 held - Sep 27, 2010
- Couple blinded for alleged witchcraft - May 21, 2011
- Two killed in Bihar for practicing witchcraft - Jul 06, 2012
- Papua New Guinea man eats son during sorcery initiation ceremony - Feb 05, 2011
- Six members of a family hacked to death - Dec 13, 2009
- Woman beaten, paraded naked - Mar 17, 2010
- Two killed in villagers-police clash in Orissa - Jul 15, 2011
- Another Assam woman killed for suspected witchcraft - Apr 18, 2011
- Two killed for practising witchcraft - Jan 02, 2011
- Bihar woman lynched for practicing 'witchcraft' - Aug 01, 2012
- Man kills brother over land tensions, witchcraft - Nov 01, 2011