Eight million more Chinese to get health coverMarch 10th, 2011 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, March 10 (IANS) Eight million more Chinese will be covered by health insurance in 2011, the human resources and social security ministry has announced.
The latest move will bring the number of urban residents covered by health insurance to 440 million, Xinhua reported.
China’s health insurance scheme includes urban basic health insurance for urban dwellers and rural cooperative health insurance for rural residents.
Health Minister Chen Zhu said Wednesday that this year the reimbursement cap for farmers would be raised from 30,000 yuan to 50,000 yuan ($7,600), almost 10 times that of farmers’ average per capita net annual income.
That means 70 percent of farmers’ inpatient expenditure can be reimbursed, 10 percentage points higher than that in 2010.
Further, Chen said China will expand the pilot project providing extra financial help to people suffering from serious diseases. The current project covers children with congenital heart disease and leukemia.
The ministry was considering expanding the package to cover other diseases such as breast cancer, cervical cancer and uremia, Chen said at a press conference.
In 2003, China launched the new rural cooperative medical care programme, in which a member pays 10 yuan a year and gets partial reimbursement at varied rates for hospital expenses.
This year, government subsidies for the new rural cooperative medical care system and medical insurance for non-working urban residents will be increased to 200 yuan per person, Prime Minister Wen Jiabao said in a report.
- 1.28 bn Chinese covered by medical insurance - Oct 12, 2011
- More money for Tibet health care - Feb 05, 2012
- Woman offers 10-years free-work for father's cure - Mar 30, 2012
- China to spend $158 bn in agriculture, rural development - Dec 29, 2011
- TB patients at a higher risk for lung cancer: Study - Jan 01, 2011
- China launches hospital reform - Jun 15, 2012
- China launches cancer screening programme - Aug 03, 2012
- China to curb smoking with increased taxes - Mar 10, 2012
- China distributes money to 87 mn poor - Feb 04, 2012
- 5,000 Chinese orphans get free insurance - Sep 29, 2010
- China may raise tobacco price to curb consumption - Mar 12, 2012
- Around 60,000 new HIV/AIDS cases in China - Nov 01, 2011
- Gastric cancer cases rise in China - Apr 23, 2012
- 199 mn Chinese join rural pension programme - Jul 26, 2011
- European Parliament approves law that allows seeking health care in any EU country - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: basic health, breast cancer, cervical cancer, chen zhu, congenital heart disease, cooperative health, current project, financial help, government subsidies, health cover, health insurance scheme, health minister, hospital expenses, medical care system, partial reimbursement, pilot project, urban dwellers, urban residents, uremia, xinhua