Eight Iraqi athletes to go to LondonJuly 15th, 2012 - 6:33 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, July 15 (IANS) A 38 member team, including eight athletes, will represent Iraq at the 2012 London Olympic Games, chef de mission Samir Sadiq al-Musawi said.
“We have eight athletes, including three women athletes,” Musawi told Xinhua.
Adnan Ta’yes will participate in the men’s 800m event Dana Husseinin the women’s 100m.
Safaa al-Rashid, wjo will participate in the 85kg men’s weightlifting event, is Iraq’s only medal hope, said Musawi.
Mohammad Ahmad will be the only Iraqi swimmer at London Olympics, competing in the men’s 100-meter butterfly event.
In wrestling, Ali Nadhim will participate in men’s 120kg event.
Women’s shooter Noor Amer will contend air pistol shooting and Rand Saad in women’s archery.
Boxer Ahmed Abdul Karim will participate in the 69kg event.
Musawi said the only athlete who qualified for London Games is the weightlifter Safaa Rashid and the other seven were chosen for the quota granted to Iraq.
“Dana Hussein, a woman, is the one who will hold the Iraqi national flag at the opening ceremony of London Olympic Games,” Musawi said.
“Iraq has finished its technical and administrative preparations. We have received our identification badges and we got our tickets and there is no problem for the preparations of the athletes,” said the official.
The delegation is slated to depart for London July 24, he said.
- Madagascar to send seven athletes to London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Ravi Kumar finishes sixth in 69kg - Jul 31, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Albanian lifter banned from London for steroids - Jul 28, 2012
- Olympics Preparation: Rs.3.57 crore spent on boxers, Rs.4.73 crore on weightlifters (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Saturday - Aug 04, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq bomb blasts - Aug 12, 2011
- We are not here to make up the numbers: Weightlifting coach - Jul 19, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Polish underdog bags gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympics: Schedule of events involving Indian athletes Thursday - Aug 02, 2012
- Eight Tunisian wrestlers qualify for London Olympics - Mar 20, 2012
- 76 Indians qualify for Olympics, more likely - Jun 12, 2012
- List of Indian athletes at London - Jul 26, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Olympic weightlifting: Podobedova lifts Kazakhstan to gold - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: 800m, abdul karim, adnan, air pistol, al rashid, chef de mission, london games, london olympics, member team, meter butterfly, national flag, noor, olympic games, opening ceremony, pistol shooting, sadiq, safaa, weightlifter, women athletes, xinhua