Eight injured as powerful storm hits MeghalayaApril 28th, 2012 - 11:57 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, April 14 (IANS) A ferocious storm ravaged parts of Meghalaya’s West Khasi Hills district, injuring eight people and rendering 43 families homeless, officials said Saturday.
The high velocity storm, which lasted almost an hour, uprooted trees and snapped power and communication line.
“Eight people were injured while the condition of two people are in critical condition in Nongkhlaw village under Mairang Sub-division,” Ramachandran Muthu, the district police chief of West Khasi Hills, told IANS.
He said the two people have been shifted to Shillong civil hospital for treatment.
Meanwhile, District Magistrate S Kharlyngdoh has released Rs.1 lakh as an immediate relief to the affected families to arrange for essential items.
- 11 drown in Meghalaya - Dec 22, 2011
- Two people injured in bomb explosion - May 02, 2012
- Six killed in Meghalaya bus accident - Jul 31, 2011
- Cyclonic storm kills nine people in Bihar - May 21, 2011
- GNLA chief arrested near Bangladesh border in Meghalaya (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 30, 2012
- Thousands take part in Meghalaya pilgrimage - Feb 05, 2012
- ANVC expresses unhappiness over 'slow' progress of talks - Feb 20, 2012
- 77 killed as powerful storm hits West Bengal, Bihar (Roundup) - Apr 14, 2010
- Fierce gunfight between Garo rebels, commandos - Jan 28, 2012
- GNLA chief arrested due to efforts of India, Bangladesh - Jul 31, 2012
- 87 killed as powerful storm hits West Bengal, Bihar (Intro Roundup) - Apr 14, 2010
- One killed, nine injured in bomb blast in Meghalaya - Jul 12, 2012
- Two civilians killed, abducted manager untraced in Meghalaya - Jan 18, 2012
- Meghalaya deputy speaker's vehicle set afire - Apr 24, 2012
Tags: 1 lakh, april 14, communication line, critical condition, district magistrate, district police, ferocious storm, high velocity, meghalaya, police chief, powerful storm, ramachandran, shillong, trees, west khasi hills