Eight held for moral policing in Karnataka (Lead, Changing dateline)July 29th, 2012 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mangalore, July 29 (IANS) Eight activists of the Hindu Jagarana Vedike were arrested for allegedly beating over a dozen youths including girls at a weekend party on outskirts of this Karnataka city, police said Sunday.
“We have arrested eight for moral policing and assaulting five girls and eight boys who were celebrating a birthday party at a resort (Morning Mist),” a police official said told reporters here.
Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) Bipin Gopalakrishnan said preliminary investigation indicated there was no rave party at the resort as claimed by the accused.
“About 20 young people were celebrating the birthday of one of their colleagues. The presence of beer bottles, soft drinks and food packets is no reason to suspect a rave party was on,” Gopalakrishnan said.
The youths were students of Sahyadri College, Sri Devi College and Roshini Nilaya College.
Police identified the accused from the footage of Kannada news channels and zeroed in on them after a night-long search.
“The activists fled from the scene as police rushed to the resort. A mob gathered around the spot after the activists alleged that a rave party was going on,” said Gopalakrishnan.
As the raid on the resort and assault were video-recorded by reporters of news channels, police are investigating their role in the incident.
On July 13, 2009 some girls were attacked by Vedike activists at a pub in the city.
- Eight arrested for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Four more held for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 30, 2012
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Shettar passes first hurdle, bigger battles ahead (Karnataka Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Police raid rave party in Hyderabad, arrest 30 youth - Jun 23, 2012
- Congress slams BJP Karnataka government for Mangalore assault - Jul 31, 2012
- Crimes in Bangalore, Mangalore worrisome, says chief minister - Aug 15, 2012
- IPL brought foreign culture, spoiling youths: Hazare - May 21, 2012
- Two nabbed for assaulting minor girl - Feb 21, 2012
- 200 youths detained after raid on rave party - Jun 27, 2011
- One killed, 41 injured in Tripura clash - Jul 11, 2011
- Man attacked at his daughter's birthday party - Nov 15, 2010
- 'Singham' screening disrupted in Bangalore - Jul 22, 2011
- Madhya Pradesh college teacher roughed up by students dies - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: activists, beer bottles, birthday party, city police, college police, dateline, food packets, hindu, law and order, mob, morning mist, news channels, nilaya, outskirts, police law, police official, preliminary investigation, roshini, soft drinks, sri devi