Eight foreign oil workers kidnapped in Nigeria (Lead)July 26th, 2008 - 11:38 pm ICT by IANS
Lagos, July 26 (Xinhua) A group of gunmen kidnapped eight foreign oil workers from an oil vessel off the coast of the restive Niger Delta region in Nigeria earlier Saturday, agencies reported. Military spokesman Sagir Musa was quoted as saying that “around six heavily armed bandits attacked an LPG tanker, shot two civilians and abducted eight of the expatriates, whose identity is not yet ascertained”.
The unidentified gunmen carried out the attack in a speed boat in the small hours, according to the spokesman.
Kidnapping of oil workers is rampant in the region, where local residents are living in poverty despite the huge amount of oil produced. Local people complain that the oil production has polluted their land and water.
Nigeria’s oil output has dropped about 20 percent since militants in the delta region launched violent sabotage attacks against oil facilities and started abduction of oil workers in early 2006, partly resulting in the soaring of the world oil prices.
Though hostages are usually freed unharmed after a ransom is paid, the kidnappings sometimes cause injuries and deaths.
- Kidnapped soccer star Obodo released in Nigeria - Jun 11, 2012
- Americans, Indonesians, French, and Canadian among hostages in Nigerian oil rig attack - Nov 13, 2010
- Two killed, 26 Boko Haram members held in Nigeria - Jul 28, 2012
- 23 Indians hostage in ship hijacked by pirates in Nigeria - Sep 05, 2012
- Nigerian military denies claims rebels killed 29 soldiers - Aug 31, 2008
- German engineer abducted in Somalia - Jan 22, 2012
- Niger Delta youths learn skills from India - Sep 09, 2011
- Politician shot dead in Nigeria - May 26, 2012
- Militants demand $1.5 mn for release of Russian sailors - Jun 09, 2010
- Blast in Nigeria's poll office kills eight - Apr 09, 2011
- Two Boko Haram commanders killed in Nigeria - Sep 21, 2012
- Six dead after Taliban attack Hungarian oil company convoy in Pakistan - Jan 21, 2011
- Nigerian gunmen release kidnapped oil workers - Jul 27, 2008
- 23 Indians on ship hijacked in Nigeria by pirates (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Four foreigners kidnapped by pirates in Nigeria - Aug 05, 2012