Eight die in two West Bengal road accidentsFebruary 11th, 2009 - 10:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 11 (IANS) Eight people, including five returning from a crematorium, were killed in two road accidents in West Bengal Wednesday, police said.
Five people were killed on the spot when the mini-van they were travelling in overturned at Dubrajpur of Birbhum district.
Police said the victims were crushed under the overturned vehicle. Twelve people sustained serious injuries and were admitted to the Suri government hospital.
There were 37 people in the mini-van, whose driver and helper fled.
Three people, including a couple, were killed in an accident involving two cars, a lorry and a trawler on the National Highway 6 in West Midnapore district.
The couple, driving from Shilda to Midnapore town, met with the accident at Themangi when their car was hit by another. The husband died instantly while the wife was slightly injured.
But more tragedy was to follow when the wife was being extricated from the car. A trawler hit the car from behind, killing the wife, and then went on to hit two more lorries parked nearby. A helper who was attending to one of the lorries was hit and died instantly, police said.
The drivers of the car and the trawler have been arrested.
- 46 die in road accidents across 3 states (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- 1 killed, many injured as LPG tanker explodes - Aug 28, 2012
- 10 killed in Bengal accidents - Mar 20, 2011
- Two killed, seven injured in Agra truck crash - May 11, 2012
- Twelve members of marriage party killed in West Bengal - Jul 09, 2010
- Eight killed as car hits pedestrians in Jakarta - Jan 22, 2012
- Trucker whose texting caused woman's death jailed - Dec 12, 2011
- Eight dead in Tamil Nadu accident - Nov 06, 2011
- Minivan runs over group of pedestrians in Japan, killing 7 - Apr 13, 2012
- Four killed in Punjab road accident - Sep 17, 2010
- Nine dead as Peru van tumbles into ravine - Jan 28, 2012
- Six dead in China road accident - Jun 01, 2012
- Five people held with 425 kg of gelatin - Mar 02, 2011
- Seven killed in Haryana accident - Apr 25, 2012
- 23 killed as tempo rams into mini-buses (Second Lead) - May 28, 2012