Eight die after drinking spurious liquorMay 18th, 2008 - 8:20 pm ICT by admin
Hosur (Tamil Nadu), May 18 (IANS) Eight people, including three women, died after drinking spurious liquor during a funeral ritual Sunday in a village near here bordering Karnataka, a government official said. They consumed the liquor in Anaikaal village, located across the border in Karnataka, in the early hours Sunday during the 13th day ritual of the funeral.
Three died after consuming what is suspected to be poisonous rectified spirit. Soon five others succumbed to the intoxicant, S. Nagarajan, the revenue officer in charge of Krishnagiri district, said.
An investigation, headed by superintendent of police P.C. Thenmozhi, has been ordered, the official added.
The remaining spurious liquor was seized and sent for examination. The condition of three people, including a woman, is serious, the official said.
It is a common occurrence in this district, situated 300 km southwest of Chennai, for residents of villages, bordering Karnataka, to cross over into the neighbouring state to buy cheap liquor.
- Spurious liquor claims 16 lives (Lead) - May 18, 2008
- Spurious liquor claims 20 lives in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu(Second Lead) - May 19, 2008
- 25 dead in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu after consuming spurious liquor (Third Lead) - May 19, 2008
- Death toll from spurious liquor rises to 34 - May 19, 2008
- Major hooch tragedies in India - Dec 15, 2011
- Spurious liquor toll crosses 40 in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu (Lead) - May 19, 2008
- Spurious liquor kills six in Andhra - Dec 31, 2011
- Moonshine kills 63 in Bengal village - Dec 15, 2011
- Spurious liquor kills three in Bihar - Jul 11, 2011
- Karnataka, Tamil Nadu spurious liquor toll climbs to 55 (Second Lead) - May 19, 2008
- Spurious liquor kills four in Bihar, three held (Lead) - Jul 11, 2011
- Illicit liquor kills four in Uttar Pradesh - Oct 27, 2011
- Three die after consuming illicit liquor - Apr 06, 2011
- 13 held for selling illicit liquor in Bihar - Feb 20, 2011
- Second tragedy for West Bengal, moonshine kills 148 (Second Intro Roundup, correcting figure in headline) - Dec 16, 2011