Eight arrested in Chandigarh with fake heroinAugust 26th, 2011 - 12:40 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 25 (IANS) The Chandigarh police have busted a gang of cheaters who were selling fake heroin in and around the city and charging lakhs of rupees for the plain white powder, a police spokesman said here Thursday.
The police have arrested eight people, all residents of Chandigarh and around and recovered the fake heroin from them.
Following a tip-off that certain people were selling expensive drugs in the city, the police constituted a team which sent a decoy customer to the gang. The deal for 500 grams of heroin was struck for Rs.24 lakh.
The gang members asked the decoy customer to come near the Chandigarh airport traffic lights for the delivery of the consignment Wednesday evening.
The gang first checked the currency brought by the decoy customer but delayed the delivery of heroin for three hours to confirm if it was a police trap.
“After being satisfied, they asked three gang members to deliver the heroin. The police party arrested all accused soon after taking the delivery,” the spokesman said.
After initial investigations, the police found that the heroin provided was fake and was just white powder, he added.
- Chinese police bust drug ring - Jun 28, 2012
- Three smugglers held with drugs, fake currency in Amritsar - Jul 04, 2012
- BSF recovers heroin, fake currency from Pakistan border - Dec 01, 2011
- Indian fake currency gangs chose Nepal star-hotel for deals - May 06, 2011
- Drugs worth Rs.1 crore seized - Dec 17, 2010
- Gang selling pirating movie, music CDs busted - Jun 26, 2012
- Spurious medicines racket busted, three arrested (Lead) - Jul 16, 2011
- Drug peddler held in capital - Jan 13, 2011
- Chandigarh police busts gang of high-end car lifters - Oct 07, 2011
- 12 kg heroin seized in Amritsar, 3 arrested - Aug 29, 2011
- Three held with fake currency in Rajasthan's Bharatpur - Jul 02, 2012
- Spurious drugs racket busted in Haryana - Jul 15, 2011
- Fake currency gang busted, three arrested - Mar 07, 2011
- Call girl racket busted in Ghaziabad - Jan 15, 2012
- Two human-traffickers held, 14 kids rescued - Jun 26, 2011