Eight arrested for stripping, beating eloping coupleJuly 24th, 2012 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Jaipur, July 23 (IANS) Eight people of a village caste council in Rajasthan’s Udaipur district were arrested Monday, a day after they publicly beat and stripped a married woman and her boyfriend after tying them to a tree over their illicit relationship, police said.
The incident took place at Kolar village near Sarada town in Udaipur, some 400 km from Jaipur.
“We have lodged a first information report (FIR) against about a dozen identified people. Eight of them were arrested Monday,” said Udaipur’s Superintendent of Police Hari Prasad Sharma.
Prakash Meena, 25, had an illicit relationship with a married woman in the village. They had eloped about 10 days ago. The villagers located the couple Saturday evening and held a caste council meeting to decide upon the punishment for them having illicit relations.
“In front of the crowd of hundreds of villagers, Prakash and the woman were tied to a tree and stripped. They were then beaten up,” said the officer. A police team rescued the couple almost after four hours.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot also ordered an enquiry into the incident.
“The Udaipur divisional commissioner has been asked to prepare a report within a week,” a senior administration officer told IANS.
- Caste council strips, beats woman, paramour in Rajasthan - Jul 23, 2012
- Dalit lover lynched in Rajasthan - Oct 10, 2011
- Boy elopes with girl, khap orders attack on kin - Aug 23, 2011
- Caste council in Rajasthan ostracises 40 Dalit families - Jun 30, 2012
- Maharashtra orders probe into attack on Dalit woman - Jan 12, 2012
- Man arrested for killing sister, boyfriend - Aug 13, 2012
- Man beaten to death in Bihar for eloping - Sep 12, 2012
- Three held for forcing woman to strip - Mar 21, 2012
- Couple stoned to death in Andhra Pradesh - May 27, 2010
- Mother for mercy killing of two kids - Sep 05, 2012
- Eloping couple commit suicide in Rajasthan - Aug 11, 2012
- Woman branded witch, beaten up in Rajasthan - Aug 04, 2012
- Rajasthan couple tries to bury new born girl alive - Jul 03, 2012
- After village court allows live-in, woman, stepson forced to leave village - Jul 23, 2012
- Woman hanged, beaten, burnt on pyre - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: administration officer, ashok, caste, chief minister, crowd, divisional commissioner, enquiry, fir, illicit relationship, information report, married woman, meena, police team, rajasthan, saturday evening, senior administration, superintendent, udaipur