Eight arrested for moral policing in KarnatakaJuly 29th, 2012 - 3:06 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 29 (IANS) Eight activists of the Hindu Jagarana Vedike were arrested in Karnataka for allegedly beating up five girls and eight boys at a weekend party on Mangalore’s outskirts, police said Sunday.
“We have arrested the eight for forcibly entering into a resort and bashing up about a dozen boys and girls,” Additional Director General of Police Bipin Gopalakrishnan told IANS from Mangalore, 350 km from here.
He said criminal case had been registered against them. The incident took place Saturday.
Police identified the accused from the footage of Kannada news channels and nabbed them after a night-long search.
“Besides the accused, the owner of the resort is being interrogated to ascertain the facts and verify claims by the accused that the college-going students were holding a rave party and indulging in obscene acts,” Inspector General of Police C.H. Pratap Reddy said.
Moral policing came to haunt Mangalore three years after a similar incident in which some girls were attacked by the activists of the outfit at a pub in the coastal city.
- Eight held for moral policing in Karnataka (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 29, 2012
- Protests against moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 29, 2012
- Four more held for moral policing in Karnataka - Jul 30, 2012
- Girls thrashed at Karnataka's Mangalore for partying - Jul 28, 2012
- Shettar passes first hurdle, bigger battles ahead (Karnataka Newsletter) - Aug 03, 2012
- Congress slams BJP Karnataka government for Mangalore assault - Jul 31, 2012
- Crimes in Bangalore, Mangalore worrisome, says chief minister - Aug 15, 2012
- Ex-news channel journalist arrested in Guwahati molestation case (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Girl gangraped in Patna boys' hostel - Sep 12, 2012
- TV journalist held for Guwahati molestation case (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Teen gang-raped by three in Madhya Pradesh - Feb 26, 2012
- 'Singham' screening resumes in Karnataka - Jul 23, 2011
- 'Singham' screening disrupted in Bangalore - Jul 22, 2011
- Ghaziabad traders protest police inaction, shut shops - Aug 11, 2012
- Rejected lover attacks girl, mother with bombs - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: activists, bangalore, bipin, boys and girls, coastal city, criminal case, director general, dozen boys, gopalakrishnan, hindu, inspector general, mangalore, news channels, obscene acts, outskirts, pratap, some girls