Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated with fervour in LucknowNovember 7th, 2011 - 1:54 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 7 (IANS) Eid-ul-Zuha, also known as Bakrid, was celebrated with traditional fervour and gaiety amidst heavy security arrangements in Uttar Pradesh’s capital Monday.
Muslims thronged mosques and prayer grounds to offer prayers. At some places, the crowds spilled on to roads near mosques.
The biggest congregation was held at the Aishbagh Eidgah and the Aasifi Masjid - both in the old Lucknow city.
After the prayers, devotees embraced each other and sacrificed animals, particularly goats, and later distributed their meat among family members and the poor.
“Eid-ul-Zuha gives us the message that we should always be ready for sacrifice… whether the sacrifice is of money or even our lives,” said Assad Ahmad, a native of Qaiserbagh neighbourhood.
“I prayed for the well being of my family and all those who have gone for the annual Haj pilgrimage,” he added.
Iqbal Ansari, a resident of Aminabad neighbourhood, said: “It (Eid-ul-Zuha) reminds us of our duties and responsibilities towards humanity for serving the almighty… It gives us the lesson that we should always be ready to sacrifice material interests when they come in the way of our principles.”
Dressed in colourful clothes, Muslims were seen visiting their friends’ and relatives’ houses for exchanging gifts and greetings.
- Praying, feeding poor, Lucknow Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha - Nov 17, 2010
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011
- Prayers, sacrifice on Eid-ul-Zuha in Andhra Pradesh - Nov 07, 2011
- Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated with fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 28, 2009
- Pakistan celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha - Nov 07, 2011
- India celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha with spirit of sacrifice (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2009
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Kerala Muslims celebrate Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Karnataka amid tight security - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Mumbai celebrates spirit of sacrifice on Eid - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: ahmad, assad, colourful clothes, crowds, devotees, eid, exchanging gifts, gaiety, goats, haj pilgrimage, heavy security, hellip, lucknow city, material interests, mosques, muslims, neighbourhood, sacrifice, security arrangements, uttar pradesh