Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in LucknowAugust 31st, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Aug 31 (IANS) The festival of Eid-ul-Fitr, marking the end of the holy fasting month of Ramazan, was Wednesday celebrated with traditional enthusiasm in this Uttar Pradesh capital amid heavy security arrangements.
The festivities began when Muslims converged at the Aishbagh Eidgah - the biggest prayer ground in the city - and various mosques for congregational prayers.
Attired in traditional costumes, Muslims, after offering namaz, wished ‘Eid Mubarak’ by hugging each other.
“We prayed for the nation’s prosperity and communal harmony,” Maulana Khalid Rasheed Firangi Mahli, a prominent Sunni cleric who heads Lucknow’s oldest Islamic seminary, told reporters here.
“We exhorted the community members to continue pious deeds even after Ramazan and abide by the holy Quran,” he added.
Chief Minister Mayawati arrived at the Aishbagh Eidgah to greet the Muslim devotees on the occasion.
Donning new clothes, Muslims visited houses of their relatives where they were treated with ‘Sheer Korma’ - a sweet dish prepared of vermicelli and garnished with dry fruits.
Platters of other delicious cuisines were prepared in Muslim households.
In other major cities of the state, including Allahabad, Varanasi, Bareilly, Varanasi and Agra, the festival was celebrated with traditional fervour and gaiety.
As many as 44 companies of Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC), 10 of Rapid Action Force (RAF) and six of Rapid Response Force (RRF) have been deployed across Uttar Pradesh along with police and other paramilitary forces to ensure peace on the festival.
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Lucknow - Sep 11, 2010
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- On Eid, clerics appeal to Muslims to help eradicate polio - Sep 21, 2009
- Gaiety marks Eid in Andhra Pradesh - Aug 31, 2011
- Praying, feeding poor, Lucknow Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha - Nov 17, 2010
- Muslims urged to fight terror on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Special Eid prayers planned ahead of Ayodhya verdict - Sep 09, 2010
- Prayers, feasts and love - India celebrates Eid with fervour (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2009
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid-ul-Zuha celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Nov 07, 2011
- It's time to be in Hyderabad -- for Eid shopping! - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,