Eid celebrated in KeralaAugust 19th, 2012 - 11:41 am ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 19 (IANS) Thousands of Muslims across Kerala celebrated Eid-Ul-Fitr Sunday by offering prayers and listening to clerics’ sermons at Eidgahs.
Eid celebrations were more visible in Muslim-dominated districts of Malappuram, Kozhikode, Kannur and Kasargode.
Muslims account for more than 24 percent of Kerala’s 32-million population.
In Thiruvananthapuram, the festival was celebrated at Chandrasekheran Nair Stadium next to the Palayam Juma Musjid where hundreds of people listened to the talk of Jamaludhin, the mosque’s imam.
In Kochi, Malayalam superstar Mammootty offered prayers at an Eidgah with his son Dulqar Salman.
In Kozhikode, Muslims from different factions organised a common Eidgah for all like last year.
The state government has declared Monday a holiday for Eid.
- Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Rains play spoilsport on Eid in Kerala - Sep 10, 2010
- Kerala Muslims celebrate Eid - Nov 07, 2011
- Mammootty takes day off as Kerala celebrates Eid - Sep 21, 2009
- Prayers, feasts and love - India celebrates Eid with fervour (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2009
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Prayers mark Eid in India, but clashes in Kashmir (Roundup) - Nov 07, 2011
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- In Hyderabad, faithful throng Mir Alam Eidgah, Mecca Masjid - Nov 17, 2010
- Eid celebrated in Karnataka amid tight security - Aug 20, 2012
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Be it Mammootty or common Muslims, Eid-ul-Azha touches all - Nov 17, 2010
- Thousands offer Eid prayers in Kashmir peacefully - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: clerics, eid, eid celebrations, eid ul fitr, factions, imam, kannur, kochi, kozhikode, malayalam, mammootty, mosque, muslims, nair, prayers, salman, sermons, state government, superstar, thiruvananthapuram