Egypt to announce Mubarak verdict June 2February 23rd, 2012 - 7:41 am ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 23 (IANS) The verdict in the hearing for former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak and former interior minister Habib Adly — both accused of corruption and killing protesters — will be announced June 2, a judge said.The trial began in August last year. Wednesday was the last day of hearing in the trial. Prosecutors have demanded death sentence for the former president, Xinhua reported.
When judge Ahmed Refaat asked Mubarak to speak, the former president said he had no comment.
“What my lawyer said is enough,” Mubarak was quoted as saying.
Adly, however, spent almost two hours talking about foreign elements that he believes to be the true murderers of the protesters.
Attorney General Abdel Meguid Mahmoud notified Wednesday the Cairo Criminal Court that the Tora prison hospital was ready to receive Mubarak, the official MENA news agency said.
Mubarak has been under detention at the International Medical Center since the beginning of his trial.
Refaat also decided to allow all media organisations to cover the verdict announcement and the Egyptian TV to broadcast it live.
Mubarak was forced to resign from presidency Feb 11, 2011 after 18 days of anti-government protests. A government-appointed committee said a total of 846 people were killed and more than 6,000 injured during the protests.
- Mubarak verdict to be appealed against - Jun 03, 2012
- Mubarak to go on trial over protester shootings - May 25, 2011
- Egypt mulls transferring Mubarak to prison hospital - Apr 22, 2011
- Is Mubarak still in Sharm el-Sheikh? - Apr 17, 2011
- Mubarak, two sons detained for 15 days (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Mubarak found guilty of role in protesters' killings (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- No live coverage of Mubarak trial from now on (Lead) - Aug 15, 2011
- Egypt sets up committee to re-check Mubarak's health - May 20, 2011
- Clashes during Mubarak's hearing - Sep 05, 2011
- Mubarak has second heart attack after being detained (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors question Mubarak's sons - Apr 18, 2011
- Mubarak trial venue changed due to security concerns - Jul 31, 2011
- Mubarak hospitalised during questioning: state TV (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Ex-Egyptian minister faces trial for corruption - Mar 05, 2011
- Mubarak refuses food, medicine in prison - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: ahmed, cairo, criminal court, death sentence, egyptian president hosni mubarak, egyptian tv, former president, habib, hosni mubarak, interior minister, international medical center, mahmoud, mena, murderers, news agency, president hosni mubarak, prison hospital, prosecutors, protesters, xinhua