Egypt detains Israeli man for spyingJune 12th, 2011 - 11:28 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, June 12 (IANS) Egypt has detained an Israeli on charges of spying in the country, state news agency MENA reported.
The Supreme State Security Court ordered Sunday the man be detained for 15 days pending investigations.
The man - believed to be an agent of Israeli intelligence agency Mossad - is being questioned on charges of spying on Egypt to harm its economic and political interests, the report said.
Police caught the agent - whose name is Elen Goren - at a hotel in Cairo Sunday. A laptop and three mobile phones “with a lot of important intelligence information that could damage Egypt’s interests” were found in his possession, the Al-Ahram newspaper reported on its website.
Tarek El-Kholy, the state security attorney, said the accused tried to recruit Egyptian youth to acquire information related to the country’s political, economic and social situation after massive protests ended the rule of president Hosni Mubarak.
- Is Mubarak still in Sharm el-Sheikh? - Apr 17, 2011
- Mubarak, two sons detained for 15 days (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Egyptian prosecutors demand death for Mubarak - Jan 06, 2012
- Egypt deports Iranian diplomat suspected of spying - May 30, 2011
- Egypt extends suspected Israeli spy's custody for 15 days - Jun 26, 2011
- Egyptians protest return of emergency laws - Sep 17, 2011
- Mubarak has second heart attack after being detained (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- 'Mubarak not terminally ill' - Apr 14, 2011
- Egypt terminates Israel gas deal - Apr 23, 2012
- Egypt goes to polls Wednesday - May 22, 2012
- Mubarak's daughters-in-law banned from leaving Egypt - Jun 17, 2011
- Egypt foils planned attack in Suez Canal - Mar 22, 2012
- Former Egyptian leader Mubarak and his sons detained for questioning - Apr 14, 2011
- Mubarak still in Egypt, says PM - Feb 14, 2011
- Mubarak may be executed for ordering demonstrators' killings - Apr 15, 2011
Tags: al ahram newspaper, egypt detains, goren, hosni mubarak, hotel in cairo, investigations, israeli intelligence agency, israeli man, laptop, massive protests, mena, mossad, news agency, political interests, possession, president hosni mubarak, social situation, state news, state security court, three mobile phones