Efforts underway to get bodies of two Indians killed in IraqMay 10th, 2008 - 10:20 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, May 10 (IANS) Efforts are underway to get the bodies of two youths from Tamil Nadu - S. Ramesh Kumar, 30, and R. Senthil, 28 - who were killed in Iraq, government officials said Saturday. The youths succumbed to injuries sustained when terrorists opened fire Thursday, their family sources said.
Eight others, who were injured in the same attack, were in a serious condition, reports emanating from Iraq indicated.
While Kumar belonged to a suburb here, Senthil hailed from Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s native village of Tirukkuvalai in Nagappattinam district.
Parents of both the youths appealed for assistance from state and central governments to get the bodies home.
The oil firm for which Kumar worked had expressed its willingness to transport his body to Kuwait and fly it home from there. Attempts were being made to ensure the return of the other victim’s body as well, a government official said.
The family of a slain engineer from Dharmapuri who died under similar circumstances in Afghanistan last month was given financial assistance worth Rs.2.2 million by state and central governments.
- Seven Sabarimala injured admitted to Tamil Nadu hospital - Jan 15, 2011
- Sabarimala stampede: 29 victims were from Tamil Nadu - Jan 15, 2011
- Bodies of two Iraq blast victims handed over to kin in Chennai - May 21, 2008
- Bihar suspends tainted IAS officer - Jun 30, 2011
- Tainted IAS officer likely to be held - Jul 01, 2011
- Tamil Nadu businessman released, police unsure about another - Jan 15, 2011
- Families mourn Iraq blast deaths, government silent - May 29, 2012
- Sikkim quake toll 78, Chidambaram promises all help (Lead) - Sep 22, 2011
- Two Tamil Nadu businessmen held captive near Agra? - Jan 13, 2011
- Ramesh assures Munda of Maoist areas' speedy development - Oct 31, 2011
- DMK silent on Kanimozhi arrest - May 20, 2011
- Thousands of Iraqis protest against foreign intervention - Sep 17, 2011
- 14-year-old girl, father among Sabarimala stampede dead - Jan 15, 2011
- Scheme for unemployed Kashmiri youth - Aug 22, 2011
- Final brigade of US combat troops leaves Iraq - Aug 19, 2010