Efforts underway to get bodies of two Indians killed in IraqMay 10th, 2008 - 10:20 pm ICT by admin
Chennai, May 10 (IANS) Efforts are underway to get the bodies of two youths from Tamil Nadu - S. Ramesh Kumar, 30, and R. Senthil, 28 - who were killed in Iraq, government officials said Saturday. The youths succumbed to injuries sustained when terrorists opened fire Thursday, their family sources said.
Eight others, who were injured in the same attack, were in a serious condition, reports emanating from Iraq indicated.
While Kumar belonged to a suburb here, Senthil hailed from Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s native village of Tirukkuvalai in Nagappattinam district.
Parents of both the youths appealed for assistance from state and central governments to get the bodies home.
The oil firm for which Kumar worked had expressed its willingness to transport his body to Kuwait and fly it home from there. Attempts were being made to ensure the return of the other victim’s body as well, a government official said.
The family of a slain engineer from Dharmapuri who died under similar circumstances in Afghanistan last month was given financial assistance worth Rs.2.2 million by state and central governments.