Efforts to tow away grounded ship off Mumbai suspendedJune 19th, 2011 - 1:50 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 19 (IANS) Salvage efforts to tow away cargo ship MV Wisdom, grounded near Juhu beach, were suspended Sunday for a fortnight due to operational constraints, a Directorate General of Shipping official said.
The vessel went adrift June 11 from its tug that was towing it from Colombo to Alang in Gujarat, where it was to be broken as scrap. It is now grounded around five km on the south-west of Mumbai’s Juhu beach.
“Due to engine trouble in the lead tug there were operational constraints in taking up salvage efforts today (Sunday),” the official said.
“The efforts are therefore abandoned till next spring tide after a fortnight, when attempts to refloat the vessel will be made afresh. There is no apprehension of any oil or cargo-related pollution,” he added.
A huge 70-tonne tugboat and another ship were engaged in the operation to pull MV Wisdom, the 9,000-tonne scrap ship, out of the beach area into the deep sea and anchor it at a safe spot away from Juhu beach.
Mumbai authorities faced anxious moments when the massive ship drifted dangerously close to the Bandra-Worli Sealink, the 5.6-km cable stay bridge in the Arabian Sea which is the latest showpiece of India’s marine engineering.
Later, strong waves pushed it towards the Juhu beach.
The scrap ship instantly became a new but temporary attraction at the beach with hordes of people flocking to see it and click pictures with the grounded ship in the background.
- Salvaging of grounded ship off Mumbai to resume Sunday - Jun 18, 2011
- Grounded ship attracts crowds in Mumbai - Jun 19, 2011
- Efforts to tow stranded ship off Mumbai suspended - Jun 17, 2011
- Ship stranded on Mumbai beach refloated - Jul 02, 2011
- Teenager feared drowned off Mumbai's Juhu beach - Jun 24, 2011
- Efforts on to control adrift ship in Mumbai - Jun 12, 2011
- Police lodge complaint against owners of grounded ship - Aug 01, 2011
- Another ship stuck at Mumbai's Juhu beach (Lead) - Jul 31, 2011
- Another ship stuck at Mumbai's Juhu beach - Jul 31, 2011
- Tragedy averted in Mumbai harbour (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011
- Off Mumbai, coast not clear of maritime disasters - Aug 09, 2011
- Efforts underway to clear stranded ship from Mumbai beach - Aug 02, 2011
- Divers to attempt plug oil leak from sunken ship - Aug 10, 2011
- No more oil spill off Mumbai coast: Jairam Ramesh (Lead) - Aug 10, 2010
- Mumbai beaches face oil spill, people asked to stay off (Lead) - Aug 07, 2011
Tags: anxious moments, apprehension, arabian sea, cargo ship, colombo, deep sea, engine trouble, fortnight, gujarat, hordes, marine engineering, massive ship, operational constraints, safe spot, salvage, showpiece, spring tide, tonne, tugboat, worli