Education loan fraud busted in Delhi, 8 held (Lead)October 31st, 2010 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 31 (IANS) Eight people, including five women, were arrested for running an educationa loan racket involving transactions worth over Rs.one crore, police said Sunday. The gang has duped over 500 students so far.
“At a raid in Parmanand Colony in Mukherjee Nagar, we arrested Varun Sardana, 24 - the gang leader - Himanshu Sharma, 21, Sunny Pal, 22, and five girls,” Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Neeraj Thakur said.
Sardana, the brain behind the the racket, roped in his friends Sharma and Pal. They together recruited and trained the girls for the sales and marketing part.
The gang even got its advertisements published in leading national dailies and provided a phone number through which the students contacted them.
They would ask for an initial amount of Rs.2,500-Rs.3,000 from the client as “processing fee”, and also lure them into paying the first installment of the loan amount and then would run away and discard the phone number.
“These people would change their address within a couple of months to avoid being caught,” Thakur said.
Delhi Police Thursday raided and nabbed all the accused and recovered 26 mobile phones, 16 bank accounts, 57 unused SIM cards, 18 ATM cards — all acquired through fake IDs.
- Girl-dominated gang running loan racket busted - Oct 31, 2010
- Two DU staffers held for supplying fake certificates - Jun 30, 2011
- Hi-tech gang of ATM robbers busted - Mar 29, 2012
- ATM card racket busted - Jan 13, 2012
- Three management professionals held for cheating - Jan 23, 2011
- Three caught for cheating ATM users - Apr 25, 2011
- Three held for fake caste certificate racket - Jun 25, 2011
- Chain-snatching gang apprehended in Delhi - Jul 09, 2012
- Former bank staff held for fraud - Nov 07, 2011
- Two youth held for ATM theft - Mar 06, 2011
- Mobile phones seized in Bihar jail - Jun 23, 2011
- Man held for Aligarh admission racket - Jun 20, 2010
- Three held for betting on Games - Oct 10, 2010
- Sex racket busted in Rohini, seven held (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
- Three held for cheating, launching fake companies - Oct 21, 2011
Tags: advertisements, atm cards, commissioner of police, crore, delhi police, education loan, fake ids, first installment, five women, gang leader, loan fraud, mobile phones, national dailies, New Delhi, oct 31, police crime, rs 2, rs one, sales and marketing, sim cards