Educate weaker sections for nation building: PresidentApril 5th, 2008 - 10:34 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 5 (IANS) President Pratibha Patil Saturday asked societal leaders to take talented students from the weaker sections under their wings to educate them and channelise their potential for the nation building. Patil, delivering the Babu Jagjivan Ram centenary lecture here, also urged the government to “monitor” the educational schemes for the weaker and disadvantaged sections of society, Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes were implemented properly.
“There are many young bright boys and girls who have various hidden skills, talents and a passion to do things that can be of help to society. However, their potential must be recognized that can be channelised for the purpose of nation building,” Patil said.
“Societal leaders in various fields should come forward and take such students under their wings,” she said at the function, which was presided by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
Patil also asked the government to provide the students from the weaker sections all education-related facilities - such as hostel, nutritional support and extra coaching classes.
The president praised the Babu Jagjivan Ram Chhatrawas Yojna, under the leadership of Minister of Social Justice Meira Kumar, Jagjivan Ram’s daughter, for its schemes for constructing hostels for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes students.
Speaking on the occasion, Manmohan Singh recalled that Babu Jagjivan Ram, one of the founding fathers of India’s constitution and a former minister, was “a true nationalist, a true secular minded person, a great administrator and a great son of India.”
Meira Kumar also was present at the function held in the Balayogi Auditorium in the parliament house complex.
- Dikshit announces job scheme for poor - Jul 31, 2012
- Focussed on welfare schemes for SC, ST, minorities: PM (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Chhattisgarh asks schools to honour RTE Act - Feb 15, 2012
- Focussed on welfare schemes for SC, ST: PM - Aug 15, 2012
- Students must get level playing field in competitiveness: President - Jan 26, 2011
- President Patil to lay foundation of IGNOU campus - Aug 30, 2011
- Bihar officials asked to explain Dalit hostel attack - Jul 25, 2012
- Congress promises jobs, minority quota in UP (Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
- Jagjivan Ram Foundation member resigns - Jun 28, 2011
- Tribal students benefit from Chhattisgarh Govt.'s 'Hostel Scheme' - Dec 20, 2010
- Once 'criminal tribes' might finally get integrated - May 28, 2012
- Court notice to Kendriya Vidyalayas on admitting poor students - Feb 09, 2012
- Tributes paid to Babu Jagjivan Ram - Apr 05, 2010
- Patnaik's schemes aim for polls: Orissa opposition - Oct 29, 2011
- Government agency under scanner for child labour - Feb 15, 2011