Economy, environment should go hand-in-hand: JairamJune 3rd, 2011 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) India’s approach towards environmental growth has to keep pace with economic growth to achieve the targets of “green economy”, Environment and Forests Minister Jairam Ramesh said here Friday.
“It is difficult to define green economy, but my approach has been to find environment-friendly alternatives to the process of development. In the times to come, we need to create 8-10 million jobs while keeping the environment sustainability in mind,” Ramesh said at the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) Business Session on building a green economy.
India is the global host of the World Environment Day 2011 on June 5.
Talking about the country’s solar power generation targets, the minister said that India needs to take inspiration from Germany that gets 17 percent of its energy supply from renewable business.
“We should have been the country ahead in the world for solar power generation, but unfortunately we are not. Germany’s example of renewable energy generation is something the corporate sector should also focus on,” the minister added.
Achim Steiner, executive director of the United Nations Environment Programme, said: “Economic growth has to be met with the demands to conserve biodiversity, food security, access to natural resources. Green economy is not an alternative economy but is very much a thing of the present.”
- India can't do without nuclear, thermal energy: Ramesh - Jun 03, 2011
- Growth in Asia at high environmental cost: UN - Sep 19, 2011
- Domestic action on climate change, India's strength: Ramesh - Mar 15, 2011
- India to release low carbon report May 9 - May 07, 2011
- India to evaluate impact of growth on environment - May 09, 2011
- Don't let frustration paralyse climate talks: UN environment chief (Interview) - May 25, 2010
- India to be third largest investment destination for renewables this year: KPMG - Jun 08, 2011
- Bihar should develop renewable energy clusters: Greenpeace - May 15, 2012
- India should ensure investment safety: German envoy (Interview) - Aug 12, 2012
- Jairam insists on more forest cover for India - Jun 05, 2011
- Freiburg: the world's ecological model city (Feature) - Jul 12, 2011
- UN explores organic agriculture options in Eastern Europe and Central Asia - Apr 14, 2010
- India should scale up green technologies: UNIDO chief (Interview) - Feb 05, 2012
- As China dumps in India's solar market, domestic industry shrivels (Business Feature) - May 06, 2012
- Economy not at cost of forests: Ramesh - Mar 21, 2011