Eat quality food to lose weightJune 23rd, 2011 - 7:26 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 23 (IANS) There is a simple way to stay slim. Eat quality food instead of worrying about the amount of food you eat, say experts.
Consuming bigger amounts of healthier food rather than smaller amounts of poor quality produce is the key, the express.co.uk reported quoting experts Thursday.
Experts at the Harvard School of Public Health in America revealed that small lifestyle changes can make all the difference to staying in shape.
They said focusing on calories alone would not keep you slim. Instead, the best way to stay at a healthy weight is to eat nutritious and filling foods of good quality.
They recommend that people watching their weight need to cut out fizzy, sugar-sweetened drinks, potatoes and refined grain foods like white rice and low-fibre breakfast cereals.
And they should eat a lot more “natural” foods, like fruit and vegetables, whole grains, nuts and yoghurt, while avoiding anything processed.
“Small dietary and other lifestyle changes can together make a big difference - for bad or good. This makes it easy to gain weight unintentionally, but also demonstrates the tremendous opportunity for prevention,” the report quoted Dariush Mozaffaria, study co-author as saying.
Nutritionist Angela Dowden said: “This research singles out once again the benefits of minimally processed foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and yoghurt.
“As well as being nutrient-dense they are satiating and their fibrous nature also require slightly more energy to digest.
“It is not so much that calories don’t count - they definitely do - it’s more that a healthy pattern of eating makes it easier for you to feel full on fewer of them.”
The findings, published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine, also showed the right amount of sleep helped people maintain a healthy weight.
- Eating habits that ensure a longer life - Dec 23, 2010
- Variety in meals hold key to longer life - Oct 19, 2010
- Summer best time to shed weight - Apr 04, 2012
- Know your diet personality type to cut your flab - Apr 18, 2011
- Dining with friends can make you fat - Sep 03, 2012
- Watching TV linked to unhealthy eating - May 14, 2012
- Night owls at greater risk of piling on pounds - May 05, 2011
- Sugary sports drinks not as healthy as thought - Sep 28, 2010
- 'Stop grazing, exercising and eat fatty foods' to lose those pounds! - Nov 08, 2010
- Talking about weight might give kids eating disorder - Jul 02, 2012
- 'Fasting detoxifies the body, but don't overdo' - Aug 07, 2012
- Women on dieting cycles seldom lose weight - May 23, 2011
- Food for thought - before that Karva Chauth fast - Oct 13, 2011
- Stay away from grocery store aisles to keep weight gain at bay - Feb 24, 2010
- Why counting calories doesn't help you lose weight - Jul 28, 2010
Tags: breakfast cereals, dowden, england journal of medicine, express co, fibrous nature, fruit and vegetables, fruits vegetables, grain foods, harvard school of public health, journal of medicine, lifestyle changes, new england journal, new england journal of medicine, poor quality, quality food, school of public health, staying in shape, white rice, whole grains, yoghurt