East Delhi situation under control, 22 detained (Lead)

September 3rd, 2012 - 11:58 am ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Sep 3 (IANS) The situation in east Delhi’s Mayur Vihar was under control, police said Monday, a day after one person was killed and many injured in a clash with police. Twenty-two people have been detained.

“We have detained about 22 people responsible for yesterday’s violence. We have not arrested anyone,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (east Delhi) P.S. Kushwaha told IANS.

One person was killed and many people, including 15 policemen, were injured in Mayur Vihar phase-III and its adjoining Khoda colony area, situated in Ghaziabad, Sunday when police fired at a mob that went on the rampage after two men on a two-wheeler were injured when police tried to forcibly stop them.

“Even though the situation is under control, we are deploying additional police personnel,” the police officer said.

About 600 Delhi policemen, including Central Reserve Police Force personnel, are deployed in the area. “We have also asked the Uttar Pradesh police to add security in the Khoda colony area,” he said.

The protesters set on fire a police booth, a DTC bus and many other vehicles in Mayur Vihar phase-III, police and witnesses said.

While police refused to say if the man was killed in the police firing, residents insisted it was so.

Police said the two-wheeler was stopped at the checkpoint as both riders were not wearing helmets.

They were drunk and fled when a traffic policeman tried to stop them. They also got into an argument with the policeman, said a police officer.

A witness, however, said a traffic officer threw a stick at them when they did not stop at the checkpoint. This led to them falling on the road.

One of the two injured was identified by police as Kamruddin, in his 20s, who is in critical condition at the Lal Bahadur Shastri hospital.

The police officer said a mob collected at the spot and started pelting stones at the police team. They also set a DTC bus, a mini truck, a car, three bikes and the police booth on fire.

Police said that they had to fire shots in the air and use teargas to restrain the crowd.

To avoid further tension, roads to the area have been blocked by police and pickets set up every 500 metres. Ambulances and fire tenders have been stationed for any emergency situation.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |