Earthquake rocks eastern New ZealandAugust 26th, 2008 - 8:05 am ICT by IANS
Wellington, Aug 26 (Xinhua) A strong earthquake measuring 5.9 on the Richter scale Monday jolted the North Island in eastern New Zealand, the country’s Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences said Tuesday.There were no immediate reports of damage or casualty, it said.
The quake occurred at 11.25 p.m. (11:25 GMT) Monday. The epicentre was located at about 10 km southwest of Hastings, the Institute said.
The earthquake was one of the biggest in the Hawke’s Bay region in recent years.
After the quake, power supply lines were snapped in some areas but later restored.
- 6.8 magnitude quake hits Peru - Aug 25, 2011
- Strong earthquakes strike off northeastern New Zealand - Nov 18, 2011
- 5.9-magnitude quake hits Fiji region - Mar 27, 2011
- Powerful quake strikes off Samoa Island - Apr 22, 2010
- 7-magnitude quake hits New Zealand - Jul 04, 2012
- 6.7-magnitude quake hits Mexico - Apr 08, 2011
- 7-magnitude quake rocks Myanmar (Lead) - Mar 25, 2011
- Quake jolts India-Myanmar border - Jul 15, 2012
- 6.2-magnitude quake jolts Chile - Jul 12, 2010
- Magnitude-5.9 quake hits Japan - Mar 22, 2011
- Quake rattles Maharashtra - Sep 19, 2011
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Argentina, no casualties - May 28, 2012
- Powerful earthquake rocks eastern Greenland - Aug 30, 2012
- Pakistan feels tremors as quake hits Tajikistan (Lead) - Jan 24, 2011
- 6.1-magnitude quake hits Japan - Oct 21, 2011