E. Ahamed is new IUML presidentSeptember 14th, 2008 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 14 (IANS) E. Ahamed, the minister of state for external affairs, was Sunday chosen as the new president of the Indian Union Muslim League (IUML).Ahamed was unanimously nominated as the new president of the IUML, said spiritual leader of the party Panakkad Syed Mohammadali Thangal.
The president’s post fell vacant after former head G.M. Banatwala died in June.
Thangal nominated the new president and 10 members of the national executive committee endorsed the decision at a meeting of the party here. Aahmed is the sole member of the IUML in parliament.
The IUML executive committee strongly condemned Saturday’s bomb blasts in a resolution, saying “the barbaric attack stealthily effected by the anti-human and anti-national forces”.
“No civilised people will accept this dastardly act of devilish nature, which undermines the social fabric and destroys peace and harmony of our country,” the league resolution said.
The IUML also expressed anguish over the communal violence in Orissa. The government of Orissa failed to protect the lives, properties and honour of the minority Christian community, the League said.
The party urged the central government to immediately table the report of Justice Ranganathan Misra Commission in parliament. The report recommends 10 percent reservation to Muslim community in all levels of employment and education.
- PM to release stamp on Muslim League leader - Aug 01, 2010
- Kerala UDF constituencts call truce - Apr 22, 2012
- Caste considerations at play as Chandy mulls cabinet expansion (Kerala Newsletter) - Apr 07, 2012
- Chandy to expand cabinet, IUML gets fifth berth - Apr 12, 2012
- Kerala mourns Panakkad Thangal's death (Lead) - Aug 02, 2009
- E. Ahamed likely to get cabinet rank soon - May 18, 2011
- UPA ally Muslim League wants price rise checked - Aug 01, 2010
- Kerala mourns passing away of Panakkad Thangal - Aug 02, 2009
- IUML to elect its national president Sunday - Sep 13, 2008
- Kerala's IUML elects Kunhalikutty as legislative party leader - May 16, 2011
- Prime Minister condoles passing away of IUML leader - Aug 02, 2009
- Woes for Chandy as IUML given fifth ministership - Apr 13, 2012
- IUML concerned over nuclear fuel supplies issue (Lead) - Sep 13, 2008
- Empower minorities commission: IUML urges PM - Jun 22, 2010
- E. Ahamed to contest from Kerala's Malappuram seat - Mar 06, 2009