Dutch woman complains of rape, Goa police tight-lippedJanuary 5th, 2009 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Jan 4 (IANS) A 24-year-old Dutch woman has complained to the Goa police that she was drugged, robbed and raped by a group of Nigerians on the New Year’s eve near the Anjuna beach, police sources said.While police officials are tight-lipped about the matter, the complainant has been shunted from one police station to another in the last few days, as she pleaded that her complaint be registered.
The woman was sent to the Goa Medical College and Hospital for medical examination to verify the claim that she was raped, the sources said.
“She was sent to the GMCH for examination. The report is expected shortly,” a police source said on condition of anonymity.
The woman in her complaint has stated that she was accosted by a gang of Nigerians who added drugs to her drinks and robbed her off her money and other personal effects near Anjuna on the New Year’s eve.
The complaint was first submitted to the Pernem police station where she was asked to approach the Mapusa police station. The Mapusa sub-divisional police officer then cited jurisdiction issues and asked the complainant to register her complaint at the Anjuna police station, the sources said.
Anjuna Police Inspector Ramesh Gaonkar did not respond to phone calls from IANS. When contacted, Goa Police public relations officer Superintendent of Police (CID) Atmaram Deshpande said he was “not in the loop”.
The incident raises questions about the safety of women on Goan beaches. On last Christmas eve, in a shocking incident a middle-aged local woman, was raped and left to die a few meters from an armed police bunker at the famous Arambol beach.
Goa can ill afford to forget the tragic rape and subsequent death of 15-year-old teenager Scarlett Keeling at Anjuna beach in February last year, which caused much furor in the national as well as the international media.
- Australian woman alleges molestation in Goa - Oct 27, 2010
- Nine-year-old Russian girl raped in Goa beach - Jan 27, 2010
- 9-year-old Russian raped in Goa beach (Second Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Nine-year-old Russian girl raped in Goa beach (Lead) - Jan 27, 2010
- Russian rape case: Mother submits detailed report to consulate - Jan 28, 2010
- Selja calls up Kamat, asks for more security for tourists - Jan 27, 2010
- Russian girl rape case: Goa cops arrest one accused - Jan 29, 2010
- Two detained for gangrape in Goa - Jul 18, 2011
- 43 foreigners overstayed, 7 Nigerians missing: Goa minister - Mar 19, 2011
- Delay in taking cop's statement in Scarlet case questioned - Apr 07, 2010
- Consular officials to meet cops over Australian woman's rape - Apr 20, 2010
- Russian girl rape case: Goa police arrest main accused - Jan 29, 2010
- Goa police yet to clarify on Dutch tourist's charges - Jan 05, 2009
- Constable forces woman to have sex, arrested - Aug 27, 2011
- Court acquits two in Russian girl's molestation - Nov 22, 2010