Dutch man seeks child with father’s spermMarch 24th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, March 24 (IANS) A childless man in the Netherlands has turned to his father for his sperm after having failed to conceive with his wife despite three years of their marriage.
The couple has found a clinic which will honour their unusual request, the Daily Mail reported.
According to researchers in the journal Human Reproduction, while such arrangements have potential advantages over using donations from strangers, they do bring their own set of complications, such as confusion over the child’s actual parent.
In this case, the child produced from this union of egg and sperm will have a “father” who is his biological half-brother and a “grandfather” who is his biological father.
There are varying views on the issue. But most experts agree so-called intra-familial assisted reproduction should not necessarily be banned.
“I don’t know that laws should encompass forbidding intra-familial donation,” said Adrienne Asch, director of the Centre for Ethics at Yeshiva University in New York City.
But couples who request it “should be very carefully counselled about the psychological pitfalls that could await them”, said Asch.
- IVF centres lack counselling facilities: Survey - Oct 13, 2011
- Virgin Trent Arsenault fathers 15 kids - Feb 09, 2012
- Chinese couples turning to sperm black markets for child - Sep 18, 2012
- Gel soon to perk up male fertility - Apr 15, 2012
- Shanghai sperm bank has 100,000 samples - Sep 10, 2012
- Nancy Reagan loves 'My Father at 100', says Ron Reagan - Jan 19, 2011
- John Abraham believes in sperm donation - Mar 08, 2012
- Vitamin D boosts sperm quality - May 21, 2011
- Kashmiri people have Dravidian genes, says writer French - Jan 13, 2011
- Youngsters donate sperm to help childless couples in Mumbai - Jul 19, 2010
- Couple donates son's organs after five kids die in fire - May 17, 2012
- Dads of test-tube babies may pass on infertility to sons - Feb 07, 2010
- Dutch man fathers 82 kids - Apr 16, 2012
- 50-yr-old Mexican woman gives birth to gay son's baby - Nov 11, 2010
- IVF clinics mushroom under toothless ICMR guidelines (Feature) - Oct 19, 2011
Tags: adrienne asch, assisted reproduction, biological father, confusion, couples, daily mail, donations, dutch man, egg, ethics, half brother, honour, human reproduction, london march, marriage, netherlands, new york city, pitfalls, sperm