Dull week on Indian equities markets (Weekly Roundup)February 7th, 2009 - 1:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 7 (IANS) It was a lacklustre week for the Indian equities markets, with a key index Friday ending trade a marginal 1.31 percent below its previous weekly close.The 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) ended at 9,300.86 points, a 1.31 percent or 123.38 points decrease from last Friday’s close of 9,424.24 points.
Similarly, the broader S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) shut shop at 2,843.1 - a 1.1 percent fall from last week’s close.
Broader market indices like the BSE midcap index lost 58.67 points, 1.99 percent lower than its previous weekly close while the BSE smallcap index was down 59.81 points or 1.79 percent.
“Market sentiment is largely unchanged, people are still not confident about which way the market will go. Such uncertainty will prevail, at least in the short-term,” said Jagannadham Thunuguntla, head of the capital markets arm and director of India’s fourth largest share brokerage firm, the Delhi-based SMC Group.
Markets started the week on a dismal note with the Sensex losing almost half of previous week’s gains and closing 3.79 percent lower Monday at 9,066.7 points than its last close.
Following the Sensex, Nifty also shut shop at 2,766.65 points, 3.76 percent down from its previous close of 2,874.8 points.
Tuesday saw Indian equities trying in vain to make a comeback with the Sensex managing to gain only a modest 0.91 percent or 82.6 points to close at 9,149.3 points.
At closing, the Nifty was at 2,783.9 points, 0.62 percent up from its Monday close of 2,766.65 points.
In a replication of Tuesday’s trade, markets inched marginally up Wednesday after slipping from the day’s highs with the Sensex ending trade at 9,201.85 points, 0.57 percent or 52.55 points higher.
Nifty closed at 2,803.05 points 0.69 percent up Wednesday, a 19.15 points increase from Tuesday’s closing figure.
Thursday again saw key indices taking a dip. Sensex closed at 9,090.88 points, down 1.21 percent or 110.97 points, while the Nifty pulled down its shutters at 2,780.05 points, 0.82 percent lower than its previous close.
Friday’s trading provided some respite to investors with markets being in an up trend for most parts of the day.
The Sensex closed at 9,300.86 points, 2.31 percent or 209.98 points up from its last close while the Nifty climbed 2.27 percent to 2,843.1 points.
Week’s top gainers on the Sensex were Grasim (up 18.04 percent at Rs.1, 413.35), ONGC (up 3.47 percent at Rs.681.05) and Ranbaxy (up 3.76 percent at Rs.223.80).
The top losers in the Sensex were DLF (down 22.04 percent at Rs.138.15), Hindalco (down 10.09 percent at Rs.44.10), Tata Motors (down 8.05 percent at Rs.137.60) and HDFC (down 8.07 percent Rs.1, 412.70).
Foreign institutional investors (FIIs) remained net sellers this week as well, selling shares worth $40.4 million as compared to net sales of $70.3 million the week earlier.
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex falls 59 points as bearish mood prevails (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex up marginally; bank, healthcare stocks gain - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex falls for third straight week on negative cues (Weekly Market Review) - May 12, 2012
- Sensex 52 points up; IT, power stocks high (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex down 46 points; oil and gas, IT stocks fall (Roundup) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex slides 127 points on poor industrial show (Lead) - May 11, 2012
- Sensex down 168 points - Aug 03, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex edges lower for the second day in choppy trade (Roundup) - Feb 23, 2012
- Sensex closes 35 points down (Second Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 193 points up (Second Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Sensex closes 41 points lower, oil and gas, IT stocks down (Second Lead) - Sep 18, 2012
- Sensex edges up but ends lower for second consecutive week (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2012