Dubai unveils plan for museum on Prophet MohammedMarch 12th, 2008 - 5:48 pm ICT by admin
Dubai, March 12 (DPA) The glitzy emirate of Dubai, known for its futuristic skyscrapers and extravagant shopping malls, announced a plan to set up a museum to highlight the life and legacy of the Prophet Mohammed, media reports said Wednesday. The Dubai Authority for Culture and Arts, established only last week to increase the emirate’s cultural profile, unveiled the museum project Tuesday, reported the daily Gulf News.
“The museum will stand as evidence that Dubai is serious about extending bridges not only between the East and the West but between the Islamic nation and the rest of the world as well,” the authority’s head, Sheikh Mayed bin Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, was quoted as saying.
The museum will highlight Mohammed’s life in the seventh century Arabian peninsula and the historic development of Islam as a world religion.
The museum will have a section explaining Muslim pilgrimage, haj, which is one of the pillars of Islam.
Dubai has evolved into a booming cosmopolitan centre for business and tourism.
The tiny emirate, which is part of the oil-rich United Arab Emirates, has also become an icon of extravagance with plans to build the world’s highest sky scraper and biggest man-made island.
To increase its global appeal, it launched an international film festival, which attracts film stars from across the world.
- UAE, Belarus discuss bilateral cooperation - Feb 22, 2012
- UAE sends humanitarian aid for Libyans - Apr 02, 2011
- YouTube channel launched for Dubai ruler - Feb 15, 2012
- UAE greets world leaders on New Year - Dec 29, 2011
- Emirates signs over $13 bn deals at Farnborough airshow - Jul 20, 2010
- UAE leaders meet foreign officials - Feb 16, 2012
- UAE vice president to visit India - Mar 10, 2010
- UAE launches bid for 2020 world expo (With Images) - Feb 29, 2012
- Tharoor in Dubai to promote ties with UAE - Oct 06, 2009
- Dubai seeks more investments - Mar 24, 2012
- UAE leaders greet President Mukherjee on Independence Day - Aug 16, 2012
- Ramadan begins in UAE - Jul 20, 2012
- Dubai's deputy ruler receives Iraqi consul general - Oct 19, 2011
- Dubai ruler orders release of 334 prisoners - Nov 03, 2011
- UN chief visits Dubai - Nov 13, 2011