DU professor sacked for sexual harassmentJuly 30th, 2008 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) For the first time in the history of Delhi University (DU), a professor was Wednesday sacked for sexually harassing a girl student, while another professor’s suspension for a similar charge was extended. Atul Razdan of the mathematics department was facing sexual harassment charges for over a year after a student alleged that the professor tried to molest her.
Razdan was first suspended from the job after an anti-sexual harassment committee of the university found him guilty of the charges.
He moved a city court to clear his name but the court did not entertain his claim.
Rekha Dayal, a member of the committee, told reporters that the university decided to terminate his job after the court rejected his plea.
“He will soon get the termination letter,” Dayal added.
DU authorities said they had extended the suspension of a professor of the chemistry department till further orders. The chemistry teacher was facing a similar allegation of sexual harassment.
DU is one the largest and prestigious universities of India. Every year over 40,000 students take admission in scores of its graduation courses.
- 'No action on students' sexual harassment complaint' - Mar 19, 2010
- Court sets aside report against Ramjas College vice-principal (Lead) - May 22, 2012
- Two weeks, three sexual harassment cases in Jamia - Mar 30, 2010
- Students should sign undertaking on sexual harassment: Professors - Feb 23, 2010
- Delhi varsity security up ahead of Holi - Mar 01, 2012
- Three Jamia students expelled for sexual harassment (Lead) - Mar 30, 2010
- Rajasthan colleges told to set up anti-ragging panels - Sep 11, 2012
- Court sets aside report against Ramjas College vice-principal - May 22, 2012
- Peshawar varsity teachers sexually harassing girls: Lawmaker - Apr 20, 2011
- Peshawar varsity teachers sexually harassing girls: Lawmaker (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Africa studies a hot new subject for Indian students - Sep 26, 2011
- Himachal professor suspended for sending lewd messages to student - Feb 16, 2009
- Court summons six Delhi varsity dons in radiation case - Feb 27, 2012
- Court reserves order against DU teachers - May 12, 2011
- British teacher jailed for sex with underage student - Jun 19, 2012