DSCL National Tennis to begin without top playersNovember 30th, 2008 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) Tamil Nadu’s Ranjeet Virali Murugesan has been given the top billing at the DSCL Men’s National Tennis tournament that begins at the Delhi Lawn Tennis Association (DLTA) here Monday.With none of the top players participating in the event, it will be a fight amongst the lesser known for the winner’s purse of $30,000.
The field expectedly does not boast of an enviable record.
The 23-year-old Ranjeet, who achieved his career best singles ranking of 835 last week, has only two quarter-final appearances in the Futures tournament this year to show. However, since both his performances came on his favourite surface clay, the hard courts here would prove to be a different challenge.
He faces an easy opponent in Andhra’s 19-year-old A.S. Suresh Krishna Monday, who off late has been struggling to make it the main draw of the Futures events.
Second seed Rohan Gide, too, has quite a few early exits to his credit this year. He though, partnering Rupesh Roy made it to the semi-final at the Pakistan Futures in October. He meets Delhi’s Rubal Shandilya in the opening round.
P.C. Vignesh from Andra Pradesh is the third seed and faces qualifier Javed Hazary Monday.
Meanwhile, local boys Palash Tiwari and Vedant Kapoor, Aditya Madkekar from Karnataka ,Ronak Manuja from Maharashtra have been given the wildcards.
- Easy win for Murugesan in ITF Futures tennis - Nov 07, 2011
- Easy win for Murugesan in ITF meet - May 28, 2012
- Malik leads way into last eight of ITF tennis - May 02, 2012
- Selvaraj knocks out Jeong at ITF meet - Jul 31, 2012
- Manuja, Reddy advance in ITF tournament - Jul 06, 2009
- Sriram advances, doubles top seeds shocked in DSCL nationals (Lead) - Dec 03, 2008
- Gajjar, Yuki reach second round of ITF - May 11, 2010
- Malik leads way into last 8 in ITF meet - May 30, 2012
- Gajjar crashes out, Yuki reaches second round of ITF (Lead) - May 11, 2010
- Vishnu to lead Indian challenge in ITF tournament - Aug 16, 2009
- Top seed Ranjeet advances in DSCL men's tennis nationals (Lead) - Dec 02, 2008
- Sharma ousts Giner in ITF tennis - May 01, 2012
- Prashanth in second round of ITF Futures tourney - Apr 25, 2011
- Sriram, Ranjeet in DSCL tennis nationals semis - Dec 04, 2008
- Malik in Mandya Open semis - Jun 01, 2012