Drunk men chase, beat up Delhi coupleOctober 24th, 2008 - 12:19 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 23 (IANS) Three drunken men chased a city businessman and his wife in their car and attacked them with glass bottles in Model Town in north Delhi, police said Thursday.Rohit Dhingra, 38, and his wife Pooja Dhingra were returning to their Vijay Nagar home after meeting their ailing relative in hospital when Jaspreet Singh and his two friends banged their Maruti-800 car against the couple’s car several times in Model Town area late Wednesday.
Singh, who was drunk, and his friends came out of their car and attacked the couple with glass bottles. They hurled a wine bottle at Pooja and hit Dhingra.
Some passers-by caught hold of Singh and one of his friends and handed them over to police. Singh was taken to the hospital for a medical examination. His friend managed to flee from police custody.
Dhingra, who was also drunk, called the police control room (PCR) van, which took him and his wife to the Bara Hindu Rao Hospital.
The police said Dhingra’s hand had got fractured and his wife suffered injuries in the face. In his complaint, Dhingra alleged that Singh and his friends were trying to rob a gold chain from them.
“One of them took a wine bottle and a glass and hurled them at my wife from the moving car. They pulled me out and punched me and hit me on the head,” said Dhingra, who owns a plastic pipes and doors shop in Bhajanpura.
“The police registered the case only Thursday afternoon. Even the accused threatened me not to register the case or face the consequences,” he said.
According to police, Singh mistook Dhingra as one who used to abuse his father Sunder every day.
“We have arrested Jaspreet Singh and search is on to nab his two friends. The accused intentionally stopped the victim and his wife and beat them up with blunt objects,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (northwest Delhi) N.S. Bundela said.
He said it was not a case of road rage. A case under the Indian Penal Code section 323 (voluntary causing hurt) and 341 (wrongful restraint) has been registered at the Model Town police station.
- Cop crushed to death in Delhi - Feb 28, 2011
- Mentally ill man kills father - Feb 07, 2012
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
- 10 arrested for Rs.3 crore Delhi robbery - Aug 07, 2011
- Speeding Mercedes kills man, driver held - Jan 09, 2012
- Beckham's kids love tipsy mom - Apr 14, 2012
- One dead, two injured in Delhi road accident - Jul 21, 2012
- The grooms were drunk, the brides said no - May 01, 2012
- 66-year-old pushed by Delhi cop, falls and dies - Feb 29, 2012
- Honour killing: 25-year old man killed in Punjab - Apr 16, 2012
- Scrap dealer shot dead in busy Chandigarh market - Jul 19, 2011
- Rs.55 lakh looted from liquor vend staff - Jan 03, 2011
- People find Italian 'Hitler' wine bottles offensive - Aug 09, 2012
- Actor Ronit Roy held after accident, granted bail - Oct 27, 2011
- Man stabbed in road rage - Oct 28, 2011