Drunk driver crushes three sleeping on Delhi pavementMay 28th, 2009 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 28 (IANS) A 31-year-old accountant was arrested here Thursday for allegedly running his car over people sleeping on a pavement in northwest Delhi while returning home after getting drunk - killing a man, his son and a child and injuring three more people.
At 1.25 a.m, Navin Jain was returning to his Keshavpuram home from a marriage function in Gurgaon, adjacent to the national capital, in his Maruti Alto car when he lost control. The car climbed a pavement near Kanhaiya Nagar Metro station close to his house.
Police said around 15 people were sleeping on the pavement then. Jain’s car reportedly ran over Deepak, 8, and Guddu, 12 and Chanderpal, 50. It also hit two brothers Harinder, 12, and Jitender, 9, and 46-year-old labourer Lala Ram.
According to eyewitnesses, Jain, who works as an accountant with a steel factory in Wazirabad Industrial Area, was heavily drunk.
“He was so drunk that he did not even realise what had happened. People had to drag him out of his car. He was roughed up,” said Shyam Lal, who was also sleeping on the pavement.
Another labourer Shiv Prasad said: “The car just zipped passed me. I was fortunate that I did not get killed. The driver was drunk and could not even stand on his feet after he was dragged out. The driver said he could not see the people sleeping on the pavement.”
Police rushed the victims to the Bhagvan Mahavir Hospital where doctors pronounced Deepak and Guddu dead. Deepak’s father Chanderpal succumbed to his injuries early in the morning.
Guddu’s father Lala Ram was shifted to Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital and his condition remained serious till Thursday evening. Harinder and Jitender were in Bhagvan Mahavir Hospital.
Police said they had arrested Jain under section 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and for drunken driving.
“Jain was speeding and was under the influence of alcohol. We have charged him under the stringent section of 304 of IPC,” said Deputy Commissioner of Police (northwest Delhi) N.S. Bundela.
- Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Third Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Two died of poisonous gas from manhole - Apr 19, 2011
- Two critical in Mumbai drunk driving accident - Apr 01, 2012
- Seven run over by truck in Jodhpur - May 29, 2012
- Three injured as car run over pavement - May 18, 2012
- Six professors charged in Mayapuri radiation case - Sep 02, 2011
- AMRI case: Directors' police custody extended by 3 days (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Bikers shoot bank employee, loot Rs.950,000 - Jul 27, 2009
- Drunk driver kills three in Noida - Nov 10, 2009
- Delhi man given life term for killing neighbour - Apr 12, 2011
- Four Maoists surrender in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 22, 2011
- Road rage claims a life in Delhi - Dec 13, 2010
- 'Ra.One' animator critical after accident - Mar 26, 2012
- Indian-origin American gets bail in road accident case - Jan 11, 2012
- Speeding car kills two pavement sleepers - Jun 17, 2011