Drunk CRPF man guns down six colleagues, shot dead (Second Lead)July 17th, 2010 - 8:11 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, July 17 (IANS) A drunk Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) constable gunned down six of his colleagues, including an assistant commandant, in a camp in Jharkhand’s Saraikela district late Friday night. He was later shot dead, police said Saturday.
Constable Harpinder Singh of the 196 battalion started firing indiscriminately from his automatic rifle around 10.30 p.m. Friday, killing six CRPF men, including Assistant Commandant Bishau Singh, in the Kuchai camp in Saraikela, around 160 km from here.
Singh was gunned down around 2 a.m. by the CRPF men, Jharkhand Director General of Police (DGP) Neyaz Ahmad told IANS.
In the firing, one sub-inspector was also injured. He has been admitted to Mahtma Gandhi Medical and College hospital in Jamshedpur. He is out of danger.
According to police, the 196 battalion of the CRPF camp was stationed in the Kuchai block of Seraikela district - one of the worst Maoist-hit areas of the state.
What provoked Singh to open fire is not known. According to sources, it was either a spat over the preparation of meals which upset Harpinder while it was also suggested that he opened fire after fears of action against him as the assistant commandant was informed that he was drunk on duty and had asked two troopers to smell his mouth.
The post mortem examination of seven killed CRPF men including Harpinder was done Saturday.
A probe has been ordered and a First Information Report (FIR) filed.
- Drunk CRPF trooper kills six colleagues, shot dead (Lead) - Jul 17, 2010
- CRPF orders inquiry into 'killing spree' in Jharkhand camp - Jul 17, 2010
- Seven CRPF men killed in Jharkhand fratricidal shooting - Jul 17, 2010
- Six CRPF men killed by inebriated colleague in Jharkhand - Jul 17, 2010
- Jharkhand CM survives nasty chopper crash (Evening Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Munda injured after chopper crash lands (Second Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Pilot wisdom saved Munda and others - May 09, 2012
- CRPF woman constable shoots herself dead (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Bank manager shot dead in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2010
- 11 security men killed, 30 injured in Jharkhand ambush - May 03, 2011
- Munda, wife escape as chopper crash lands (Lead) - May 09, 2012
- Maoists abduct five Jharkhand officials, free all (Second Lead) - Mar 20, 2010
- Maoist regional commander killed in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2012
- Police destroy Maoist camp, one rebel held - Jan 29, 2011
- Two CRPF men killed, 5 injured in Maoist ambush - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: ahmad, assistant commandant, automatic rifle, constable, crpf man, dgp, director general, fir, gandhi medical, information report, jamshedpur, jharkhand, mahtma gandhi, man guns, maoist, mortem examination, police force, post mortem, reserve police, spat