Drug dealer gets death penaltyJanuary 29th, 2012 - 12:28 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 28 (IANS) In a rare judgment, a special narcotics court here Saturday awarded death penalty to a man for dealing in drugs.
Special Narcotics Court Judge Shalini Nagpal awarded capital punishment to Paramjit Singh for dealing in a 10-kg consignment of heroin in 2007. The consignment was worth crores of rupees in the international market.
Singh was trying to deliver the consignment to an African, Sestus Benson, who was also arrested by the Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) here in November 2007 from Sector 39.
The court sentenced Benson to 15 years’ rigorous imprisonment.
Paramjit was on parole after his arrest and conviction in another drug trafficking case in Delhi when he was arrested here in this case. The court, while awarding capital punishment to him, said that this made his crime a grave one.
NCB officials here said that the death penalty in this case was “historic” and would become a deterrent for drug traffickers.
- Another drug peddler gets death sentence - Mar 26, 2012
- Court frames charges against former narcotics bureau official - Nov 23, 2010
- Pakistani executed in Saudi Arabia - Sep 05, 2012
- Five drug traffickers hanged in Iran - May 11, 2011
- Two drug peddlers jailed for 10 years - Apr 24, 2012
- Three get 16-year jail for drug smuggling - Jul 30, 2011
- Punjab jailor wants Sikh terrorist's death warrant deferred - Mar 26, 2012
- NCB to open Chhattisgarh office - Jun 18, 2012
- Cocaine case: Fardeen charged with lighter offence - Oct 04, 2011
- Burail jail-break: Court declares conspirator 'absconder' - Apr 02, 2011
- Iran hangs 11 convicted drug traffickers - Nov 25, 2011
- Russian woman sentenced to death in China - Nov 27, 2011
- Three arrested, 61 kg hashish seized - Oct 04, 2010
- Belarus to abolish death penalty after US: President - Dec 24, 2011
- Death sentence is judicial murder, says judge in Rajiv killing - Oct 16, 2011
Tags: benson, capital punishment, consignment, conviction, court judge, death penalty, drug traffickers, drug trafficking, heroin, jan 28, judgment, kg, nagpal, narcotics control bureau, ncb, paramjit singh, rigorous imprisonment, rupees, shalini, worth crores