Driver rams bus into park to avoid collisionMarch 7th, 2012 - 1:02 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 6 (IANS) An alert Delhi Transport Corporation (DTC) bus driver Tuesday saved lives of several people by crashing his vehicle into a park wall to avoid a collision with an autorickshaw in central Delhi, police said Tuesday.
Driver Kali Das hit the park wall around Mandi House around 3.15 p.m. He was driving a bus running on route number 73 between Hari Nagar and Anand Vihar.
The driver hinted that the bus brakes had malfunctioned. DTC officials however claimed it was not a brake failure.
“In order to avoid collision with an autorickshaw, the driver took the bus straight into the roundabout. Das got panicked after the incident. So, he fumbled and said that the brakes had failed. Later, he told us that the brakes did not fail. He only wanted to prevent a collision with the TSR,” said Manohar Lal, manager, public relations, DTC.
Lal added that no technical problem was found when the bus was examined after the incident.
The incident took place when the bus was on way to Anand Vihar bus depot from Connaught place on the Feroz Shah Road.
“After crossing a red light, I applied brakes to slow the bus. Suddenly, I realised that the brake liver were not working and an aut rickshaw was just on the right side of the bus as I approached the Mandi House roundabout. I tried pushing the brake lever thrice but it was of no use,” said the driver.
Das said he alerted all the passengers, asked them not to panic and move towards the rear.
- Man crushed to death in east Delhi - Feb 12, 2011
- School children hurt in accident - Dec 22, 2011
- Bus mows down woman in east Delhi - Nov 23, 2011
- Eight injured as buses collide in Delhi - Dec 08, 2010
- Two murders in Delhi - Jul 11, 2012
- Alighting passenger run over by bus - Oct 19, 2011
- Commuters suffer as private buses go off the roads (Lead) - Sep 27, 2010
- One dead, many injured in Delhi violence (Roundup) - Sep 03, 2012
- DTC buses collide, 17 injured - Oct 01, 2011
- East Delhi violence under control - Sep 03, 2012
- 18 school kids injured as bus overturns - Sep 12, 2011
- Fatally hurt, but Chinese driver saves lives - Jun 04, 2012
- Minor girl crushed to death in Delhi - Jul 15, 2011
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012
- One dead in DTC bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: anand, autorickshaw, brake failure, brake lever, brakes, bus depot, bus driver, central delhi, connaught place, delhi police, lal, liver, manohar, New Delhi, number 73, public relations, red light, rickshaw, transport corporation, tsr