Drive around Delhi to demand strong Lokpal BillMarch 13th, 2011 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 13 (IANS) A group of Delhi residents dressed in white shirts and t-shirts took a four-hour drive around the city to drum up campaign against corruption and support the Jan Lokpal Bill.
The drive was organised by India Against Corruption (IAC), a citizens movement created by people who do not wish to remain a mute spectator of the corrupt practices prevailing in India, an IAC member said.
“Around 50 people joined us on their bikes and cars. We started from Qutab Minar at 10 a.m. and rode through almost all parts of the city before ending the procession at India Gate at 2 p.m.,” Gaurav Bakshi told IANS.
The drive aimed at building pressure on the government to initiate action for formulating the Jan Lokpal Bill and to support social activist Anna Hazare’s fast unto death over the issue beginning April 5, he added.
The Lokpal Bill, 2010, which awaits a select parliamentary committee’s nod, provides for filing complaints of corruption against the prime minister, ministers and MPs with the ombudsman. It requires investigations into any corruption case be completed within a year and the trial to get over in the following year.
“The prime minister in a meeting last week told us that the government’s version of the bill may be tabled in May but that is not acceptable to us as they have diluted the bill making it useless. We want the bill in its original form,” said Bakshi.
In no mood to budge, the IAC which has eminent personalities like Anna Hazare, Kiran Bedi, Sri Sri Ravishankar, Baba Ramdev among others associated with it, is planning similar events in the coming days to spread awareness and gather maximum support for the bill.
“We have organised many rallied earlier but this was our first on wheels and there is plenty more to come if the government does not meet our demands. We know the government is jittery about Anna Hazare’s fast unto death and we are going to increase the pressure,” added Bakshi.
- Team Anna supporters gather in Jantar Mantar - Jul 25, 2012
- Bring Lokpal or go, Anna tells UPA (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- BJP wants stringent Lokpal Bill - Apr 08, 2011
- Following Anna's footsteps, they fast on - Aug 20, 2011
- In Chennai, Anna supporters chalk out next stage - Aug 28, 2011
- Lawyers plan strike Wednesday on Hazare's arrest - Aug 16, 2011
- No talks if fasting protesters forcefully removed: Anna Hazare (Second Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna arrested, sent to Tihar (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Cordon of volunteers fortify Anna's security - Aug 20, 2011
- In Lucknow, doctors write out anti-graft message - Aug 20, 2011
- Tight security planned for Hazare's fast Sunday - Dec 10, 2011
- Anna set for fast, politicians hit back (Evening Lead) - Dec 26, 2011
- Bollywood extends support to Anna Hazare - Apr 06, 2011
- Team Anna hardens stand, cops want them hospitalised (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Anna gets MCD nod for another hunger strike - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: anna hazare, bakshi, corrupt practices, corruption case, delhi residents, eminent personalities, gaurav, india gate, kiran bedi, maximum support, minar, mps, ombudsman, parliamentary committee, procession, ramdev, social activist, spectator, sri sri, white shirts