DRDO, armed forces should work in tandem: AntonyJune 4th, 2008 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 3 (IANS) India’s premier Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and the armed forces should work in tandem to ensure synergy and achieve self-reliance in military hardware, Defence Minister A.K. Antony said Tuesday. “The DRDO has a crucial role in ensuring strategic defence with the delivery of suitable systems to the nation. The DRDO and armed forces have to work with greater synergy to achieve the goal of self-reliance,” Antony said at a meeting here of parliament’s consultative committee attached to the defence ministry.
The minister applauded the DRDO for taking a significant step towards developing a ballistic missile defence shield when on Dec 6, 2007 an exo-atmospheric interceptor missile “killed” an incoming hostile missile off the Orissa coast.
“With this India joined an elite club consisting of nations such as USA, Russia, China and Israel who possess this capability,” Antony pointed out.
Listing the other achievements of the DRDO, the minister said it had also developed tactical systems such as missiles and radars, electronic warfare systems, sonars and torpedoes, besides the Tejas light combat aircraft, the Arjun main battle tank and the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile.
“A country like India cannot go on depending on one country or the other for its defence requirements as we have had bitter experiences in the past,” the minister maintained.
“Nations are unwilling to part with strategic defence technologies, or at best willing to provide previous generation tactical systems and that too on unacceptable terms and conditions. In such a scenario, there is a strong need to optimize self-reliance in these areas,” Antony added.
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- India tests BrahMos cruise missile (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 05, 2010
- Defence technologies transferred to India not the best: Antony (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- BrahMos Aerospace to make cryogenic engines for Indian rockets - Jan 30, 2011
- Russia to build hypersonic missile - Sep 20, 2012
- India successfully tests BrahMos supersonic cruise missile (Lead) - Mar 30, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
- BrahMos cruise missile achieves supersonic dive (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- India successfully tests BrahMos (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Antony asks DRDO and armed forces to work with greater synergy - Jun 03, 2008