Dravid named captain of Rajasthan RoyalsDecember 3rd, 2011 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Jaipur, Dec 3 (IANS) Indian batting great Rahul Dravid was Saturday named the captain of the Indian Premier League (IPL) team Rajasthan Royals. He replaces Australia’s Shane Warne, who led the team for four seasons before announcing his retirement from the cash-rich event earlier this year.
The 38-year-old former India captain has had a great 2011. He has piled on 1067 runs in 11 Tests that includes five centuries. ‘The Wall’ was bought by the Rajasthan franchise for $500,000 in the IPL auctions held in Bangalore in January. Dravid was with the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) for the first three editions.
“I am honoured to lead the Rajasthan Royals. I hope to live up to the confidence shown in me by the franchise and give our fans an exciting season of cricket,” said Dravid in a statement released by Rajasthan Royals.
“I look forward to the valuable inputs from my teammates who are already leading their national sides and clubs. My aim will be to get the best out of a very talented squad and invoke the same team spirit that won the franchise the first IPL and has been a hallmark of the Rajasthan Royals ever since.”
Warne had no hesitation in saying that his successor will take the team to more success.
“He is not only one of the world’s best batsmen, but a leader par excellence. The Royals squad is a bunch of extremely energetic and talented players who know their roles perfectly well and I am sure they will thrive under Dravid’s inspiring leadership. I will be keenly following the Royals and Dravid and would like to wish them the best,” said Warne, who led the team to victory in the inaugural season.
- We got players to beat any team: Dravid - Apr 15, 2012
- Owais Shah replaces Shane Warne in Rajasthan Royals - Mar 07, 2012
- Dravid eager to perform for Royals - Apr 05, 2012
- Cricket carnival returns to tech hub with a bang (Sidelights) - Apr 16, 2012
- Warne retires from IPL, Royals want him as mentor (Lead) - May 06, 2011
- We need to pick the best to partner Gayle, says Vettori - May 09, 2011
- RCB looks for Gayle's opening partner as Dilshan leaves - May 09, 2011
- Shane Warne announces retirement from IPL - May 06, 2011
- Mumbai Indians performing well, no pressure on players: Harbhajan - Apr 29, 2011
- Ready to step aside if suitable opener found: Dravid - May 21, 2012
- Old guard out to make a statement in IPL - Apr 12, 2011
- Kumble wants to manage cricket than play in IPL (Lead) - Jan 04, 2011
- Rajasthan look to consolidate their momentum - May 07, 2012
- Beleaguered RCB hopes to bounce back - Apr 17, 2012
- Former captains pay rich tributes to Dravid at BCCI ceremony - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: bangalore, challengers, cricket, five centuries, four seasons, franchise, hallmark, hesitation, inaugural season, ipl, premier league, rahul dravid, rcb, retirement, royals, shane warne, talented players, talented squad, team spirit, teammates